PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Searchable Data Into A Page.

davidlew
03-03-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm trying to bring data in from an Access database, so that I can search for a part number in the database, display the part and its description and then order that part using a PayPal buy now button - or a PayPal Add to Cart button. I've tried bringing in the database, but nothing happens. Using Excel to bring in each set of part numbers results in a flat table - which is great for seeing what the parts are but it doesnt help me to select an individual part and order it. How do I get the Access database into position so that I can search it and bring a decscription line into the screen for ordering??
:(

davidj
03-03-2008, 09:02 AM
this is a commercial application you need to scope this properly

you need a scripting language to code the functionality and because your using an Access database you could look into ASP. However its easy to transfer your data from this database which i would not use in a commercial environment to a more robust scalable db like MYSQL. (which is free and cheaper to host) If you do use MYSQL then the natural order would be to adopt PHP as a scripting language.

what ever you decide your going to have to learn how to program

is this something you want to do? or have an interest in

davidlew
03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
God no! I was programming Plan, Fortran and Algol 35 years ago, but I've been an operations man for 30 years since. Is this the only way? Dont say I have to bite the bullet at my age!!

davidj
03-03-2008, 12:18 PM
you could buy a shop in a box. There are plenty out there.

I have used and recommend a product called ACTINIC

http://www.actinic.co.uk/index.shtml

This allows you to develop your site and functionality pretty much straight out the box. Pick a template, add your products, set your prices and currency, set your countries tax rate and upload your site via its own interface. Once you have used the interface to develop your shop and uploaded it the interface transforms into a shop front for administrators allowing you to monitor purchases and it produces your invoice and dispatch notes and also receives payments using a number of different gateway options

there are others which i would imagine do a similar job.

if your wanting something quick this is what i recommend

davidlew
03-03-2008, 12:32 PM
I remember Actinic. I looked at it about six years ago when they'd just started up and it was expensive, and more so as you increased the numbe of items, and I drifted off it. But then I only had a few items - less than 50 in different categories, so it wasnt too bad to put a PayPal button against them. Now I'm looking at several hundred items and the obvious way was to use a database and bring it in. I've just put in to have a look at EasyGen. Saw several examples of exactly what I want to do, and they werent difficult at all. And its a simple way of matching MYSQL with PHP. I'll have a go at it and see how it does the job. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
:)

davidj
03-03-2008, 12:38 PM
i paid 500 for a license a couple of years ago which wasnt restricted

i would check it out

there is a demo and a 30 day trial available

davidlew
03-03-2008, 09:18 PM
They must have gone very commercial - a single licence is now 89 and multiple licences (you need one for each computer) are at a reduction. 1-5 licences are 69.99

The demo I looked at showed you several different situations. A car franchise, a spare parts agency (which is what we are) and a real estate business selling chalets. Database retrieval was really slick and searchable, with shopping facilities. I'll have it in a little while and let you know how it goes.