PDA

View Full Version : server technology in site definition

jetskiron
02-27-2008, 06:39 PM
I've been using DW6 to edit individual pages in my website. The website was built by someone else, and now he is gone. I have never "defined" the site, and think I should do it to make editing easier.

In DW6 "Define a site" wizard, it asks if I want set up for dynamic pages and if so what format: ASP, ASP.NET (http://asp.net/), ASP.Vbscript, ASP.NET (http://asp.net/) C+, ASP.JavaScript, ASP.JavaScript, etc.

What should I select for working with my website (insurance-claims-questions.com)? Most of my root pages are .asp. There are a few other files with extensions .aspx, .aspx.cs, .js, .mdb, .inc, .css, .cs, .html.

It seems to me my original web developer used ASP, but my second developer added to and modified the website, I think he said with ASP.NET?

thanks,
Ron

davidj
02-27-2008, 06:45 PM
you have a steep learning curve ahead of you

ASP.NET is the way to go in your current environment but you will have to redevelop your ASP content

you are about to dip your toe in the pool of programming

jetskiron
02-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks David,
It seems like I'm slipping into that pool more every day. :)

You said "you will have to redevelop your ASP content". I don't want to create any unnecessary work for myself.

1. So am I better off to just use DW to edit individual pages?

2. If I do go ahead and "Define a Site" with the ASP.NET for dynamic pages, and don't "redevelop my ASP content", will the website malfunction?

thanks much,
Ron

jetskiron
02-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Oh, and David, one more question,

Is editing pages in DW code view and saving from DW as safe as editing code opened from Notepad and saving from Notepad?

thanks again

davidj
02-27-2008, 07:35 PM
ASP.NET and ASP are related but use different environments so its normally one or the other with .NET being the more modern and popular and professional of course.

This is something you wont be able to learn over night and will take allot of time to get right. This forum doesn't have that particular skill set to offer you the support you may need (at least i don't think we have - maybe mangofreak ???)

anyhoo

in answer to your first question

if you use DW to develop your site then you will run into problems. This i promise you. When you don't understand the language underneath everything how can you debug or modify the code it offers. You cant. and finding help to do this will be even more harder so you may have to pass this ball to someone who codes.

try to learn to code

davidj
02-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Is editing pages in DW code view and saving from DW as safe as editing code opened from Notepad and saving from Notepad?

OK

Dreamweaver will open any text formated documents as long as it recognises the extension. The trouble is that when you use DW wizards to write the code it lays the code down in a strict format. In DW you have many tabs and panels which contain snippets of code and bindings which, in turn can be used to drag code into your documents. If you use a none Dreamweaver written document it cant read the code so cant offer up the bindings nor can it connect to your database if your connection script was written outside of its scope.

jetskiron
02-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks David, great advice.

Let me put these questions a little different way. If I keep a backup of my website before changes made with DW, and, thoroughly test the changed pages online with IE, then theoretically, would it matter if I screwed it up in DW?

And if this is true, which browser is best for testing IE, Firefox or Netscape?

I'm learning the html code and it actually seems pretty simple as long as you have the reference guide. Is Java script and ASP that much more difficult? It almost seems like you don't need to know much code with a program like DW.

Thanks,
Ron

davidj
02-27-2008, 08:46 PM
anybody want to add anything to this thread...

jetskiron
02-27-2008, 09:17 PM
thanks David, you guys are magnificant!

mangofreak
02-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Hi Guys,
Well, I think Ron can have the site defined as ASP and VBScript instead of ASP.NET

Once you have that done, you should check if you have some kind of admin section that the previous guy created to maintain the site. It makes no sense to create a DB driven website without the means for editing content.

Before you go about jumping cold into the pool, please do the following:

1.- make sure you know what your server environment is type of server, version, disk storage space, quantity of DB's you can have, etc. All that info will allow you help you with 2

2.- Deciding and obtaining the tools to use for creating and editing your pages and the way you will be able to connect to your db.

3.- if you have space for creating another db, you can use it to learn and test. There are a number of Tutorials for that. Din't I mention a few before??? I forget.

4.- HtML or xhtml, is different to ASP or Javascript, the learning curve is much steeper, especially when you start modifying your code. A comma, or Quotation mark can mess up your code and application in ways you never new. And sometimes it is hard to locate the actual error.

Some of the code in your site was not designed with DW so, DW will try to change and in some cases show errors where there are none. Be carefull.

Lastly, Backup your current site and its db. In case of an accident you always want to have a backup.

hope it helps.

jetskiron
02-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Mango,

thanks much, its good to hear all input.

1. My DW6 define site dynamic page options show VBScript, but not the ASP by itself (I saw the ASP option in a help text file). Would ASP.NET include VBScript tags as does HTML4 includes HTML3?

My second web developer added code to be compatable with dotnetfx, and I think thats why he said he used asp.net. He added file security features so my products (books) could only be read on one pc, tied to serial numbers on the hard drive and cpu. I think he also mentioned that he could redo the whole website in asp.net, but it would be a big job, so we left it as was and he did some "work arounds".

2. Yes, the site does have an admin section that I access online. The original web developer never intended for me to be to be accessing the databases directly or to be editing and uploading/downloading files by ftp. But I have learned that I can open the mdb files in MS Access and edit data there if the admin section is down or not working. I also found it was best for me to have ftp access so I could do minor stuff like changing keywords in code.

3. My server is Godaddy, set for microsoft (not linux). I have the delux hosting account that comes with 100 gig. My website with databases are only 500 meg right now. My database is 1 meg, small. My products, the books use about 350 meg.

4. I don't plan to make any DB format or structure changes, just add data or edit data if the admin section is down.

5. Yes, I discovered that by adding one closing character "}", which DW said I needed, it screwed up the whole page. Yeah for backups.

6. I just discovered the check page validate markup feature. I'm wondering if I define the site for ASP.NET or VBScript if that will adjust the tag libraries in preferences?

Sorry for all the detail,

thanks much,
Ron

davidj
02-28-2008, 06:07 AM
Ron

ASP.NET is different from VB Script (ASP) so you cant use comparisons like HTML3 and HTML4 as those are versions of the same thing.

I do think you are out of your depth here

mangofreak
02-29-2008, 06:13 PM
David is right. if the whole thing is done in ASP.Net, then it should be done using the same. VBScript is usually for classic ASP. Net is newer, and for what is said, the future for ASP.

Also, I forget what DW6 supports.
Newer versions of DW have better support for ASP. I'm Using DW8. Is 6 the MX version?

I suggest you try ASP.Net VB and not the C#

However, that's still a bit of a learning curve. I use Classic ASP and I'm still learning. ASP.Net is the next step.

Since you have the good habit of backing up, then try it out. Jump in the pool of ASP.Net VB. If you messed it up, then you can always restore the page.

Otherwise, you would have evaluate if it is cheaper to hire someone to do it for you or doing it yourself.

:D

jetskiron
03-03-2008, 04:06 PM
thanks David and Mango,

Yes, DW6 is the MX.

1. I got an email from my former web developer that my website was done in ASP and he suggested I choose ASP. So should I choose the "ASP VBScript" or "ASP.NET VB"?

2. My next step in site definition is setting a local server on the same pc I have DW on. I already have ColdFusion MX installed. The site def wizard now asks what url I would use, and the default shows as:

http://localhost:8500/unnamedsite1/

Since the DW site def. files talk about "localhost", not "localhost:8500", I'm assuming that it got changed to 8500 during the installation of CF MX?

3. So should I just leave it as "localhost:8500"?

4. Also, most of the time when I boot up, Zone Alarm says "IIS is trying to act as a server". This started after I installed the Cold Fusion a year ago and I have always denied access. If this is part of te DW and CF program, should I now allow access?

5. If I do use my own pc as a localhost (for testing purposes), will I be able go online at the same time?

I don't want to use a public server, like Godaddy, for testing purposes. I don't want Google spidering my test work.

Thanks so much you guys
Ron

mangofreak
03-03-2008, 05:30 PM
ASP runs on IIS, ColdFusion is a server server also, but it runs CFM files.

- What you need is IIS with ASP.Net Support, also, you for all your website to work properly you need to have a copy of your db as well running on your local system. Did you mention what kind of DB it was?

basically, you need a mirror copy of your website, running on your local site, so when you make any changes you can be sure it will look and work the same as in your website. hopefully.

jetskiron
03-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks Mango,

The DB is a microsoft Access databsase, MDB.

So I need to select ASP.NET VB? There is no selection for just ASP.NET without the VB.

thanks,
Ron