PDA

View Full Version : Newbie checking he's come to the right place

Rob_Che
02-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi All...

Newbie here... feel free to give me wedgie or chinese burn :roll:

Just checking this forum is the place for me...
Here's my site: Perfect Pixels (http://www.perfectpixels.biz)

I'm a graphics guy so I'm just learning the ropes with PHP and HTML.
I've been viewing the PHP tutorials (Cheers David!) and looking forward to
seeing more...)

Will my face fit? Just wait til I start asking stupid questions :wink:

Cheers
Rob

Death Dream
02-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Nice site. I hate the moving navigation on 90% of the sites I see using it but it seems nice on your site. But I do hate that pink color lol.

~Death Dream~

Rob_Che
02-26-2008, 01:19 PM
Cheers Death Dream :)

yeah - I need to redo it really... I know what you mean about moving menus - I really hate them and for that reason tried to make one I liked ! I like a challenge. (I think some OSs hate them tho)

I don't like the blurry bits either... I'll sort it.

davidj
02-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi Rob

welcome

we dont give wedgie's or chinese burn's here.. just dead legs

I am in Death's camp here

i can see the design aspect here and i like it but that pink is so out of touch with the rest of the site. Im not saying its wrong but it doesnt sit right with me.

also there is a step of a couple of pixels in the pink bit (top left) which throws the design a bit

is nice though

d a v e
02-26-2008, 02:37 PM
the moving menu is bad and here's why

as i scroll down the page i'm looking at the main content, but as my eyes are selectively genetically programmed to detect any movement at - particularly in my peripheral vision (say a big tiger that's might eat me ;) then i just end up going "whoa what's that. oh it's the menu sliding" read a bit more scroll "whoa what's that flickering in my peripheral vision?!" etc

you get the idea (well hopefully): it's damn distracting! (akin to animated gifs flashing all the time)

davidj
02-26-2008, 02:43 PM
say a big tiger that's might eat me ;) then i just end up going "whoa what's that.

While dave is going.... "whoa what's that." ... Ill be putting my training shoes on.

As long as i can out-run dave, the stripey cat is not really a worry!

Death Dream
02-26-2008, 03:00 PM
the moving menu is bad and here's why

as i scroll down the page i'm looking at the main content, but as my eyes are selectively genetically programmed to detect any movement at - particularly in my peripheral vision (say a big tiger that's might eat me ;) then i just end up going "whoa what's that. oh it's the menu sliding" read a bit more scroll "whoa what's that flickering in my peripheral vision?!" etc

you get the idea (well hopefully): it's damn distracting! (akin to animated gifs flashing all the time)

Yeah I just not realized that is what I did to. I was to busy looking at the moving menu scrolling it up and down to see how well it worked. And then I saw the pink a few mins later after just watching the menu scroll with me.

~Death Dream~

Rob_Che
02-26-2008, 03:30 PM
So... what I get from this is.... replace the menu with a Tiger, yeah !?

HA !

Rob_Che
02-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Try this... is this better ? HERE!! (http://www.perfectpixels.biz/webdesign.htm)

Now I've got a serious case of LONGPAGE syndrome...

davidj
02-26-2008, 09:30 PM
link not working

Rob_Che
02-26-2008, 09:34 PM
AARRGGHH........

It works in Firefox but not IE...

wait there..... I deleted something important...

FIXED !

Try THIS! (http://www.perfectpixels.biz/webdesign.htm)

davidj
02-26-2008, 09:56 PM
now thats what i call a nice site

i like it

its modern and trendy

sweet

are the sites that are displayed yours too?

Rob_Che
02-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Cheers David - Yeah, they're all mine :) (some I'd rather forget tho!)

Just trying to build a portfolio at the moment...

I just seem to be 5 years and 1 million brain cells behind on the coding stuff... I'll get it soon I'm sure...

davidj
02-26-2008, 10:31 PM
nice work

its obvious your an arty type which is the hard bit really as you have a gift which cant be taught. Anyone can be shown how to code however

highfive on the avitar

ya arty git

Rob_Che
02-26-2008, 10:43 PM
highfive on the avitar

ya arty git

Stole the idea from yours ;)

Have to say it's the friendliest forum I've been on for AGES !!

Hope I can contribute enough to make my stay useful.

davidj
02-26-2008, 10:46 PM
not be long before your skills are tapped into

OK i reckon your a photoshop, illustrator type.. Any more softwares in your armoury

davidj
02-26-2008, 10:49 PM
additional

your avatar has torn the backing from the site where mine has peeled cleanly in a sticky back plastic stylie

Rob_Che
02-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Photoshop / Corel actually... with a bit of flash (not actionscript tho, that's like writing stuff ! haha)...

I'm an insurance claims advisor 9-til-5.

edit: i'm old enough to remember sticky back plastic!.... and sorry for ripping the site background.

davidj
02-26-2008, 10:52 PM
insurance claims advisor

in the UK???

Rob_Che
02-26-2008, 10:57 PM
in the UK???

Yeah not far from you really - Doncaster...
DON'T tell me you've been to the train station, I've heard that one ! :-D

davidj
02-26-2008, 11:09 PM
had a car torched last year and there was an issue with the registration doc being issued to BMW but i stated the car was registered to me.

needed advice from a guy of your profession to see if the policy was void and whether or not i was going to have to pay 25k back to BMW

it turned out OK and this discrepancy didn't seem to bother them

i had a dodgy coloured under-pant around that time!

Rob_Che
02-26-2008, 11:18 PM
I guess we're drifting but any insurance advice I would be glad to assist where I could... ;)

Re the torching (unlucky)
As long as you had purchase proof it shouldnt be an issue but as an interesting 'aside' - in my company over 1/2 of theft claims are withdrawn before being paid out ! That's a lot...

Death Dream
02-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Very nice, I got to say, some of your work there is very inspiring to me. I keep my stuff very simple but looking at that just makes me want to try something different.

Looks better too.

~Death Dream~