PDA

View Full Version : navigation bar ???

kraftypictures.co.uk
02-24-2008, 01:21 PM
as i am very new to dreamweaver i may be biting off more than i can chew here but, i want a vertical navigation bar on the left of my page that scrolls down as site users go down the page. i am able to get a static navigation bar but i want to make it easier for my users to navigate the site. how do i do this please?

thanks in advance trudi

domedia
02-24-2008, 08:32 PM
The rest of the web development world thinks having a regular navigation bar is the best, are you sure you want to do this? :)

In your CSS menu you can set the navigation position to 'fixed' to achieve this.

kraftypictures.co.uk
02-25-2008, 01:16 PM
i like to be different lol my pages are going to be quite long and i would like it easier to move between sections of my site and to be honest thats the only way i can think of doing it unless i have a static bar on the left hand side and the rest of the page moves if you get what i mean

vkw91
02-25-2008, 03:01 PM
^ why that sounds like framesets....NOOOO!

This all sounds very old skool to me! But if your sure thats what you what, domedia is right, just make the nav postion fixed rather than the normal relative.

kraftypictures.co.uk
02-25-2008, 03:09 PM
cheers for the help i will give it a go and let you guys know how it turns out, i may end up doing something different i like to be radical and different with my site

domedia
02-25-2008, 03:20 PM
So you're making your site for yourself to view (keeping a notebook with you would be easier), or for your visitors? ;-)

Let me know if you need help with setting the navigation to position: fixed.

kraftypictures.co.uk
02-25-2008, 04:08 PM
well its my hobby come business website so i want it to be easy to navigate

d a v e
02-25-2008, 07:02 PM
if your pages are going to be quite long then you need to rethink the structure of your site to break things up into more manageable chunks. long pages are often (though not always) a poorly organised site.

it's ok to be different but do it in a way that offers something useful to users rather than going against normal usability practices. ;)

i had a quick glance at your site and was going to ask what the heck was wrong with your photos til i realised that they were all stitched pictures! lol :)

kraftypictures.co.uk
02-25-2008, 07:38 PM
the reason the pages will be quite long is because i want to list 20 smallish pictures down the page which you hover over to enlarge and next to each picture will be the kit details to save building as many pages this time as i did last time lol

also the main kits page will have between 30-40 different kit types on there so again that will be a long page

because of the length of the pages i want the users to be able to access the buttons to other areas of the site no matter where on the page they are.

what was can i achieve this other than having a scrolling nav bar?

d a v e
02-26-2008, 10:43 AM
just have a 'to top of page' at the bottom of every page and users can scroll back up to the navigation or use the 'top' link.

i have 19 pictures on this page for example http://chargercomposites.com/sailing/2_4_pictures.html all linked to bigger images but the page isn't all that long as they sit next to each other.

Rob_Che
02-26-2008, 02:06 PM
the reason the pages will be quite long is because i want to list 20 smallish pictures down the page which you hover over to enlarge and next to each picture will be the kit details..

There are better ways of doing this than having avery long page...

I'm guilty tho... here's my 2:
Moving menu: Perfect Pixels (http://www.perfectpixels.biz)

iFrame anyone ? (do we hate these on this forum - I'm new here ;))
DNT CLOTHING (http://www.dntclothing.co.uk)

I think the world is mving to 'expanding' and making good use of small spaces - think WAP !

davidj
02-26-2008, 02:36 PM
iFrame anyone - do we hate these on this forum

damn your eyes!!

davidj
02-26-2008, 02:38 PM
na its not that its a hated

it just messes with your SEO

Rob_Che
02-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Sorry... SEO ?

I'd like alternatives for Iframes also if possible - Sorry for thread hijack but I think it's ON topic ?

kraftypictures.co.uk
02-26-2008, 04:01 PM
just have a 'to top of page' at the bottom of every page and users can scroll back up to the navigation or use the 'top' link.

i have 19 pictures on this page for example http://chargercomposites.com/sailing/2_4_pictures.html all linked to bigger images but the page isn't all that long as they sit next to each other.

the thing is i will have written text next to each image as well as the expanding image so at most i could only have 2 images next to each other which would mean a row of 10 images down, once i have done the coding for a check out as opposed to emailing me with orders the buttons wont be so much of an issue as i could then have them static at the top of the page

kraftypictures.co.uk
02-26-2008, 04:05 PM
There are better ways of doing this than having avery long page...

I'm guilty tho... here's my 2:
Moving menu: Perfect Pixels (http://www.perfectpixels.biz)

iFrame anyone ? (do we hate these on this forum - I'm new here ;))
DNT CLOTHING (http://www.dntclothing.co.uk)

I think the world is mving to 'expanding' and making good use of small spaces - think WAP !

i must admit i like both ways on those links, but thats the kind of thing i would like to do either keep the buttons in one place and make the information move or make the buttons scroll down with the information

kraftypictures.co.uk
02-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Sorry... SEO ?

I'd like alternatives for Iframes also if possible - Sorry for thread hijack but I think it's ON topic ?

dont worry about hijacking my thread lol if it helps me i dont mind :wink:

domedia
02-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Sorry... SEO ?

If you're not using iframes to load in an external HTML page, it's the wrong tool for the job. This is what it was made for. Using it for anything else is just.. weird.

Rob_Che
02-26-2008, 08:06 PM
If you're not using iframes to load in an external HTML page, it's the wrong tool for the job. This is what it was made for. Using it for anything else is just.. weird.

Hey domedia...

So what are the alternatives ?
Can I make a 'panel' that loads external (local) content?
From a design point of view and loading potential it seems to work really well... Especially with heavy graphic or flash elements that customers are so desperate to have... Cache can't handle ALL of it
Unless there's a way of directing users who 'stumble' across one of the content pages to the 'main' page ?

Rob

kraftypictures.co.uk
02-27-2008, 11:27 AM
so is there any suggestions for what i could do then?

Rob_Che
02-27-2008, 11:59 AM
I think the general concensus is thus;

Don't have a dancing menu.
DO make the pages manageble so that users shouldn't need to 'look' for the menu - I guess you won't be hiding it anyway?
DO have anchor tags to 'return to top' if the page is quite long...
Failing that you could make it in a frameset or iFrame... help... i'm drowning here!

Rob

domedia
02-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Hey domedia...

So what are the alternatives ?
Can I make a 'panel' that loads external (local) content?

You can load other content through includes, feeds, ajax etc. Depending on the situation. Iframes is a pre-feed way of loading external, not local, pages.
From a design point of view and loading potential it seems to work really well...Using a toaster to drive a nail in the wall works real well too, but it's just ..weird, and it's going to get you problems up the road because your solution does not exist in a web standards world.
Especially with heavy graphic or flash elements that customers are so desperate to have... Cache can't handle ALL of it Not sure what you mean, but I can pretty much guarantee you that frames is not the solution :) It's main use was pre-2000 when we thought the scrollbars that the iframes made were cool. Nowadays we of course use CSS for this, it gives us much better control, not to mention that CSS is the layer for styling.

Rob_Che
02-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Been looking at Thinkbox... i like the look of this...

That site is the first I've done using iframes (never used frameset) - the client wanted so I gave it. Works for what he wants but I'm aware of the limitations so wouldn't use it myself... (or again)

domedia
02-27-2008, 06:01 PM
If the scrollbars were the goal, you achieve this by setting a width and height on your HTML element, and then setting overflow:auto in your CSS :)

Rob_Che
02-28-2008, 07:25 AM
There's the biscuit... I'm off...

*google.com..."overflow:aut...

domedia
02-28-2008, 12:43 PM
We have a tutorial here as well, explains the basics:
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-scroller.php