PDA

View Full Version : We need new Member Rank names!

domedia
02-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Hi all!

I'm going to change the member rank system a little. This is the system that counts the amounts of posts a user has and gives them a rank based on this count. The current list is:
Minimum Posts:0 -> New Member
Minimum Posts:50 -> Bronze Member
Minimum Posts:100 -> Silver Member
Minimum Posts:250 -> Gold Member
Minimum Posts:500 -> Platinum Member
Minimum Posts:1000 -> Diamond Member

The new ranking system will be based on the current post counts:
1. 0-50
2. 50-100
3. 100-200
4. 200-400
5. 400-700
6. 700-1000
7. 1000-1500
8. 1500-2500
9. 2500-5000
10. 5000->

What I need suggestions on, is names on this list. 10 of them as you can see.
It can be anything.. you can build on the current ones or make a better one. Whoever makes the one that is chosen gets to be member of the month next month ;) We'll make a nice graphic under your avatar to display this.

So come on with your suggestions everyone.. talk about it, chat about it, blog about it, dream about it..

davidj
02-21-2008, 03:49 PM
java beans

Ive seen it done but cant recall where

vkw91
02-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Rather than things like silver, have funny ones related to dreamweaver and html/css - afterall this is a dreamweaver/coding forum!

davidj
02-25-2008, 04:43 PM
unless things have a value then this becomes meaningless

you need targets to identify those that have been a regular whether that be asking or answering

davidj
02-25-2008, 09:58 PM
what about a participation meter

like LED's which switch on as the posts climb

Death Dream
02-26-2008, 07:21 PM
I just like a progress meter, I hate sites that use the LED's/Stars or whatever it is to show rank.

1. What is HTML?
4. Front Page Adict
7. Dreamweaver Adict
8. NotePad Junkie

I can't think anymore. I'll edit it as things come to mind.

~Death Dream~

davidj
02-26-2008, 07:28 PM
if i ever achieved the first, second and third level of your examples i think i may self harm!!!

allot of guys are already in the industry and to carry a rank like that would be an insult..

i suggest a participation meter. This does not carry a rank as such just a value indicating participation because after all thats what we are measuring really whether that be asking questions or answering them. We have members on here with high post values but they have never helped another member so you cant really rank them in how helpful they are

its a puzzler

Rob_Che
02-27-2008, 12:13 AM
I must admit... I'm not a proud guy but "what is html" next to my sig would make me feel a bit pointless :)

domedia
02-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Keep elaborating guys.. whoever comes up with the best suggestion here will be member of the month.. with all the bragging rights included ;-)

davidj
02-27-2008, 02:28 PM
err the last person to call me a member got a kidney punch

domedia
02-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Yeah.. it still hurts...

Death Dream
02-27-2008, 06:17 PM
if i ever achieved the first, second and third level of your examples i think i may self harm!!!

allot of guys are already in the industry and to carry a rank like that would be an insult..

i suggest a participation meter. This does not carry a rank as such just a value indicating participation because after all thats what we are measuring really whether that be asking questions or answering them. We have members on here with high post values but they have never helped another member so you cant really rank them in how helpful they are

its a puzzler

I know, I would hate to have it on my name as well but that is what would make me more active on the forums to try to get rid of that rank.

Something to fight for IMO.

~Death Dream~

davidj
02-27-2008, 06:36 PM
trying to force a positive out of a negative is the wrong path

someone who constantly requires help could be ID'd as a HTML GURU (or whatever) Yet he achieved his status by not answering one question! He asked 300 though! and he is an HTML GURU. Then we have a professional who codes for a living and drops by to help a guy out. The guy he helps is tagged as a NOTEPAD JUNKIE and the helper (who is just passing through) is tagged as WHAT IS HTML ....! You can see my point here

I don't think this will shame people into posting more, I just think it will shame people into not returning.

Its wrong to use any negatives in a friendly forum

you are using an insult to identify new members which doesnt identify their true skillset.

vkw91
02-27-2008, 07:54 PM
What about little captions then like "10% cool, 90% geek" ?

davidj
02-27-2008, 08:10 PM
coffee beans....

you need rob to come up with some ideas

vkw91
02-28-2008, 04:31 PM
When you've got coffee beans, i tend to think of java not, dreamweaver....

davidj
02-28-2008, 05:01 PM
yeah

it was just bouncing around in my head

its not to be used

but i though id see what it looked like in the forum

tux
03-05-2008, 01:05 PM
I think the progress meter idea is the way to go. Attached is a few ideas I got from a quick google search.

Even a coffee bean one for Dj.

Another progress meter idea here...

http://forums.devshed.com/ftp-help-113/ftp-progress-meter-474968.html

Regards, Paul

davidj
03-05-2008, 01:31 PM
i like that idea

mangofreak
03-06-2008, 01:27 AM
I saw some droppins like that once. I think it was an overgrown mouse. :D

Sorry, silly me. I don't know what came over me. LOL

I like both ideas.

mangofreak
03-06-2008, 01:38 AM
what about we use the club's logo instead of a meter or beans. 1 for a begginer and incrementally to 10 for a die hard member like Davidj. I think it's more representative of DW as well as the club.

domedia
03-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Sitepoint uses something similar.. I think that's a really good idea..

Jittor
03-06-2008, 02:55 PM
What about if we use the DC logo as a meter - it starts out clear and slowly fills up as they post more, it can also have the 1-10 like mangofreak suggested.

Wow - that would be a lot of DC logos one one page

davidj
03-06-2008, 02:57 PM
i think we should have one logo for every one post !

Ricky55
04-07-2008, 10:26 PM
call me a traditionalist but what's wrong with what we have now?

They make sense to everyone, plus I'm proud to have my gold star.

Rob_Che
04-08-2008, 10:02 AM
I think the problem with that is Ricky is that I'm now a silver member...
This is based on posts alone but I haven't helped anyone !
The rankings should show some knowledge & prowess with DW and the ability to help / advise / ridicule :)

If IndianLeo posts 300 posts would you want him having the same 'Gold Star' as you !? :rolleyes:

domedia
04-08-2008, 02:13 PM
The membership level is only based upon post count, and will always be based on this :)
With this in mind, maybe we shouldn't use the word 'member' in it?
Based on this what should we call it?

Also remember that this is not a help forum, this is a DW forum, so amount of help given to people asking for help has nothing to do with the membership level :)
Although it seems that almost every post here is about someone needing help with something.

Death Dream
04-08-2008, 03:53 PM
I think the problem with that is Ricky is that I'm now a silver member...
This is based on posts alone but I haven't helped anyone !

ROFL!!!! hahah nice.

Maybe, if this hasn't been said already (not gona go back and re-read), a reputation system needs to be put into effect then. I'm sure most of you have seen the reputation used on other vBulletin forums.

The membership level is only based upon post count, and will always be based on this :)
With this in mind, maybe we shouldn't use the word 'member' in it?
Based on this what should we call it?

Spammer .. joking of course :)

Also remember that this is not a help forum, this is a DW forum, so amount of help given to people asking for help has nothing to do with the membership level :)
Although it seems that almost every post here is about someone needing help with something.

True, that is why I think a rep system wouldn't be bad.

~Death Dream~

domedia
04-08-2008, 10:07 PM
True, that is why I think a rep system wouldn't be bad. Good idea.. what I've seen on some forums are mixed experiences.. some will spam around giving bad rep, other places it works beautifully.. another item added to our list of additions :)

Death Dream
04-09-2008, 01:13 AM
Good idea.. what I've seen on some forums are mixed experiences.. some will spam around giving bad rep, other places it works beautifully.. another item added to our list of additions :)

Thanks, I guess if it doesn't work you can always remove it.

~Death Dream~

davidj
04-13-2008, 02:49 PM
what about military style rank insignia

below ranks inspired by Call of Duty 4 which I'm loosing at currently

The below would work like this.... initially promotion would be quick with the first few being issued within the first hundred posts but the higher ranks become more distant requiring allot more posts. Also if you add the NEXT RANK IS ???? give something to aim for and you may get returning visits from it. Mods will be assigned a higher level rank (officer) but will also RANK UP within the officer branch. Ove will be appointed Field Marshall. The idea is simple because most people know what the ranks stand for and what follows next and adds a bit of recognizable quirkiness. You could even award badges of merit for say post of the month or helping hand of the month in the design of millitary medals of honour and worn as ribbons (but our own designs as not to offend our service men)

images here...
http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/rank3.shtml

1 Private First Class
2 Private First Class I
3 Private First Class II
4 Lance Corporal
5 Lance Corporal I
6 Lance Corporal II
7 Corporal
8 Corporal I
9 Corporal II
10 Sergeant
11 Sergeant I
12 Sergeant II
13 Staff Sergeant
14 Staff Sergeant I
15 Staff Sergeant II
16 Gunnery Sergeant
17 Gunnery Sergeant I
18 Gunnery Sergeant II
19 Master Sergeant
20 Master Sergeant I
21 Master Sergeant II
22 Master Gunnery Sergeant
23 Master Gunnery Sergeant I
24 Master Gunnery Sergeant II
25 2nd Lieutenant
26 2nd Lieutenant I
27 2nd Lieutenant II
28 1st Lieutenant
29 1st Lieutenant I
30 1st Lieutenant II
31 Captain
32 Captain I
33 Captain II
34 Major
35 Major I
36 Major II
37 Lt. Colonel
38 Lt. Colonel
39 Lt. Colonel II
40 Colonel
41 Colonel I
42 Colonel II
43 Brigadier General
44 Brigadier General I
45 Brigadier General II
46 Major General
47 Major General I
48 Major General II
49 Lieutenant General
50 Lieutenant General I
51 Lieutenant General II
52 General
53 General I
54 General II
55 Commander

davidj
04-13-2008, 06:28 PM
continued from previous post

Cary
04-13-2008, 07:46 PM
I like it!

Rob_Che
04-13-2008, 09:45 PM
I really like that!

Make it so DJ...

Death Dream
04-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Huuuh? Military rank on this site? ..... I guess I am going to be the only one who says he doesn't like that idea.

~Death Dream~

davidj
04-14-2008, 07:07 PM
nope your not

everyone has a reason for and against

i just thought it carried more visual logic than token colours or shapes as our current system is based on

whats the reason for your objection Death?

is it a political one due to the current millitary activity in the world or is it just because its a lame idea

Jittor
04-14-2008, 07:53 PM
I like this idea, but at the same time I don't. I like the images and that they are different and represent time in/on the forum, like time in the military. What I don't like it that it doesn't seem to fit the DWC site. Maybe if it was ranks for something like Battlestar Galactica, or Star Trek. Not saying I like those shows, but something more modern/futuristic, more Dreamweaver Club'ish. Does that make sense?

Rob_Che
04-14-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm sure we can use the style of the 'Stripes' etc but bring them forward a decade or twenty!

davidj
04-14-2008, 11:39 PM
OK

so do we agree on a modern twist on the military ranks

any objections

Dom... What do you think

edbr
04-15-2008, 02:10 AM
as long as we dont have to salute you commander

domedia
04-15-2008, 02:54 PM
You can salute DJ vader all you want as long as you know who his master is ;)

Joking aside I think you've come up with a great solution. Military ranks was actually my first attempt do redo the member ranks some months ago so I have them all ready. I'll send them to DJ so he can make some futuristic graphics.

Death Dream
04-15-2008, 03:11 PM
whats the reason for your objection Death?

is it a political one due to the current millitary activity in the world or is it just because its a lame idea

What I don't like it that it doesn't seem to fit the DWC site.

Jittor said it first and this is what I meant. I have nothing against the military it's just it doesn't fit in at all.

~Death Dream~

Rob_Che
04-16-2008, 06:49 PM
The DW security forces... saving the world from tables...

oh god.... I've already got my coat.... I'm off.

Death Dream
04-16-2008, 10:15 PM
The DW security forces... saving the world from tables...

HAHAH yeah no kidding!

~Death Dream~

2bz2p
05-22-2008, 12:34 AM
I must say that this is a tough one, though military ranks are (i guess) appropriate, because they have their own meaning, in which it is different for everyone, i.e. some power, some braging rights and some just to make a difference (in a military stand point, not saying I am speaking for the Military, just my opion <-- got to put that statement because I am in the US Army and we have rules when it comes to our opion 8-) -->

Though they are fitting to do to the fact that it doesnt make anyone a better than the other or any other point of that matter. Plus it is a diffinative declaration of the post counts, by pretty much everyone.

So with that said, here is my suggestion:

Use the military concept just use different graphics or names.

see and as I write this I go back to saying its a good idea, mainly in part that I personally would see a private and say hes new, and see a general and say hes been here a while.

but from an army stand point the each branch of rank; NCO, Warrent Officer and Officer have different stand points.

Let me stop because at this point I am thinking out loud and it could go on foever, but at least you have a military members idea.

peace
2b

davidj
05-22-2008, 06:44 AM
agreed

i think its intuitive and a fantastic idea and that the bloke that thought of it is probably extremely handsome to the ladies

Rob_Che
05-22-2008, 08:54 AM
It is in hand... I'll post an update on this very soon.

I've mastered PHP all by myself as DJ will confirm, so now I can concentrate on matters military... :smile:

davidj
05-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Rob is now officially my bitch.

he owes me many many Photoshop favours

Rob_Che
05-22-2008, 11:55 AM
HAHA! yeah, that's cool... I can do that !
I feel like I've been violated tho... very odd experience.

:shock:

Death Dream
05-27-2008, 09:17 PM
HAHAHAHA DJ!!! Wow if that is the case Rob owes me some too!! >.> But I wont cash in lol as if Cary caught wind of this I would be screwed for life!

I still like my idea of the reputation idea.

Now me and Rob can trade off with what i know about CSS and wordpress for some PHP knowledge! That I will cash in on lol.

Rob is now officially my bitch.
I laugh every time I read this.

~Death Dream~

Rob_Che
05-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the support DD... :rolleyes:

edbr
05-28-2008, 02:16 AM
just to throw an alternate ,in how about ranks based on 1st grader>5th grader.9th grader>freshman>sophomore>under grd>graduate>teacher>professor>dean>governor> etc etc.

davidj
05-28-2008, 12:15 PM
hi ed

this leans more to qualifications and experience

we have some members who have high post counts but have offered little or no help so these guys could obtain a teacher or a professor grading which would give a false ident

Death Dream
05-28-2008, 02:08 PM
hi ed

this leans more to qualifications and experience

we have some members who have high post counts but have offered little or no help so these guys could obtain a teacher or a professor grading which would give a false ident

*points to my self*

~Death Dream~

domedia
05-28-2008, 03:35 PM
remember that member ranks is a reflection of activity in the forum, and activity alone ;)

Death Dream
05-28-2008, 05:10 PM
remember that member ranks is a reflection of activity in the forum, and activity alone ;)

In that case XD

1. Not very active
2. Somewhat active
3. Active user
4. Active abuser

XD I don't know where I'm going with this, just being a jackass.

~Death Dream~

domedia
05-28-2008, 08:29 PM
DJ cashed in on some of the favors from Rob I think, and he's in the process of making some futuristic sci-fi military graphics.. we'll see ;-)

Rob_Che
05-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Hey Guys... I really am on this !
My life has been stupid busy recently...
Posting random css queries while at work is about the most I've got done...

Rob_Che
05-29-2008, 02:18 PM
So... had a play, wanted to show before I got too far off track.

Domedia gave me the width - wasn't sure if the height was to remain the same... here you go anyway.

As I said, only rough, don't flame me yet...

http://perfectpixels.biz/images/DWC/3.jpg

http://perfectpixels.biz/images/DWC/4.jpg

http://perfectpixels.biz/images/DWC/1.jpg

http://perfectpixels.biz/images/DWC/2.jpg

That's all for now...

domedia
05-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Yes the first ones look great. the second ones look even better but are too tall. I'll send you the rank names in a few hours.

Rob_Che
05-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Cheers.

I won't get chance to play tonight... but soon.

Rob_Che
05-29-2008, 04:10 PM
haha... I'm now Goldmember... cool.
http://laptoplogic.com/data/news/images/2767/goldmember_.jpg

Death Dream
05-29-2008, 10:30 PM
The second ones are more avatar but looks kick ass! The first one's are what they are after I think. Although I am not a fan of the font that is being used. Could you change give us a few examples of other fonts?

Hahah XD F U! lol jk gratz.

~Death Dream~

davidj
05-30-2008, 01:12 AM
they look bling rob

nice one

i release you from being my bitch

go on... run and frolick... your free!

Rob_Che
05-30-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm frolicking right now... watch me dance.

DD: I'll use a pixel perfect font for the height. I think the capitals look better too...

I'll be back...
I have the list of ranks now... there's chuffin' 'undreds of 'em !
(cheers Ove)

domedia
05-30-2008, 08:47 PM
I have the list of ranks now... there's chuffin' 'undreds of 'em !(cheers Ove) Haha thank DJ for that :D my list was smaller but we made a compromise ;)

Rob_Che
05-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Many are quite similar so shouldn't be too painful... :)

I was wondering whether you wanted to change the colour of them as they went up the ranks?

Starting off red for the first 5 - then to orange for the next 5 then blue for the remaining 37 (colours as examples)
- With the logos in chrome.

domedia
05-30-2008, 11:53 PM
remaining 37? There's only 18 in total. Check you email again, and reply there :)

Rob_Che
05-31-2008, 08:21 AM
Only joking Domedia ;)

domedia
05-31-2008, 06:38 PM
*phew* lol
You can color code to your liking :)

Death Dream
06-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Only joking Domedia ;)

Haha I even feel for it Domedia, my jaw dropped there for a second then laughed as I kept scrolling. Make the rank for 250posts be the best color =D Because that is what I am going to be lol. And Rob .. the best color is NOT pink you bastard! I know how much you love that color!

~Death Dream~

Death Dream
06-03-2008, 09:46 PM
http://laptoplogic.com/data/news/images/2767/goldmember_.jpg

http://www.mycashplus.co.uk/img/cashplus-card.gif

Bwhaha so am I now!

~Death Dream~

Rob_Che
06-04-2008, 12:56 AM
And so we're back at why we started this thread,,,
A couple of useless mongos like us reaching gold status... it's just not right :p

Death Dream
06-04-2008, 03:27 AM
And so we're back at why we started this thread,,,
A couple of useless mongos like us reaching gold status... it's just not right :p

Hahahaha! I bet everyone is shaking there heads in shame with us hahaha XD

~Death Dream~

Rob_Che
06-12-2008, 05:06 PM
I need your help here...

There are 15 different 'ranks'... Do you think they all need their own colour ?
Or... maybe the colour changes every 3 ranks you move so there are 5 colours ?

I've attached some colour ideas...

Cheers
Rob

davidj
06-12-2008, 05:09 PM
where

im guessing the colour ideas are light blue, pale blue, pastel blue, blueish white and eggshell blue

Rob_Che
06-12-2008, 05:10 PM
ok... added now . . . I think . . .

davidj
06-12-2008, 07:54 PM
i would keep them the same

but thats my opinion

plus the highest colour you have is pink

hope your not implying something

Andromeda
06-12-2008, 08:40 PM
I vote 5 colours so the colour changes after every 3 ranks.

Much tidier that way.

domedia
06-12-2008, 09:03 PM
plus the highest colour you have is pink

hope your not implying something :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rob, I think you can use whichever colors you think is best as long as they fit with our futuristic army theme or whatever we agreed on. Different colors might not be needed for 1st round.. maybe we can even add them later?

Rob_Che
06-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Smart. I'm on it.. again.

(quicker this time ;))

Rob_Che
06-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Hmmm.... once we get past the basic insignia they start to get awful small...
There's no movement on the size then ?

domedia
06-13-2008, 02:08 AM
Only requirement is width.. feel free to make them a little taller (not much) :)
You don't have to feel bound by the current layout either.

Rob_Che
06-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Cheers Domedia, that might help...
I think the layout works for the insignia and title anyway...

Corrosive
06-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Cheers Domedia, that might help...
I think the layout works for the insignia and title anyway...

Looking great Rob :-D

Death Dream
06-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Dunno where the brown is coming into play with the site here but are the ranks going to get changed or something?

~Death Dream~

domedia
06-17-2008, 03:55 PM
are the ranks going to get changed or something? Yes read this thread :)

Death Dream
06-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Yes read this thread :)

NEVER!!! I just got back from North Dakota and I am going back tomorrow. I have no time to waste! haha :)

~Death Dream~

domedia
06-17-2008, 04:58 PM
NEVER!!! I just got back from North Dakota and I am going back tomorrow. I remember the movie Fargo, ja? One of my all time favorites :-D

Death Dream
06-17-2008, 05:08 PM
I remember the movie Fargo, ja? One of my all time favorites :-D

Yeah that is where I am staying at, Fargo. All the other IT guys I am with are talking about that movie and going "yaaa" like in the movie I guess. They said I should watch it.

~Death Dream~

domedia
06-17-2008, 05:10 PM
You should! Great movie.. I'm pretty sure the 'jaa' thing comes from the Scandinavian heritage there.

Corrosive
06-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Yeah that is where I am staying at, Fargo. All the other IT guys I am with are talking about that movie and going "yaaa" like in the movie I guess. They said I should watch it.

~Death Dream~

Absolutely! Fargo is a great film :-D . Steve Buscemi at his absolute wierdest/best. Check out the wood chipper scene, priceless. One of my faves as well.

davidj
06-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Err

how many people have viewed this post? 1600+!

domedia
06-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Err

how many people have viewed this post? 1600+!
Nope, the thread has been displayed 1600+ times. Only about 20 people have viewed the thread this month, but they've done it a bunch of times ;-)

domedia
06-24-2008, 04:48 AM
New graphics in place, see this thread:
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=140271

davidj
06-24-2008, 07:29 AM
i dont think you should become an officer until 700+ posts

nice ranks though