PDA

View Full Version : mySQL odbc remote connection

mangofreak
02-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi all,

This is an ASP guy lost in the php and mysql ocean of knowledge. Here is my situation. I have 3 computers win XP SP2 one of them is my attempt to learn php mysql. In that machine there is: apache server running and MySQL. I installed the odbc connector to that machine.
The connection went fine. I created a user DSN and a system DSn.

Now, I wanted to do the same from my other machine where I only have my applications like: MS Access, DW and PS. Tried several times but I hit a wall called error 11004.

I googled but no luck.

Any of you has any ideas???? Basically win xp box with applications wants to use mySQL odbc to connect to other winXP box with Apache server and MySQL to convert MS Access DB to mySQL db.

Any help is very much appreciated

Mango in distress :(

mangofreak
02-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Nobody?? No ideas????

davidj
02-21-2008, 04:17 PM
you wanting to connect to the server from the other machine

can i see your connection script which uses the odbc

mangofreak
02-22-2008, 02:26 AM
Nope. I can connect to my mySQL just fine. My problem is that I installed The mySQL ODBC connector to be able to convert Access files to MySQL. Apparently, as a tutorial mentions this is possible. Now, the configuration of the ODBC connector is the big bad wolf.

machine1, with MS access wanting to establish the connection to the Server hosting mySQL. In this case machine2.

Now, I was able to convert the file using a third party application called MS Acces to MySQL. It worked. However, my intention was to learn the odbc route.

No matter, life is too sweet to spend it on this kind of problems. I may have to install MS Access on my 2nd machine.

Thanks Davidj, very much appreciated your interest. :)

davidj
02-22-2008, 05:31 AM
you dont use odbc for standard mysql, php connections do you?

davidj
02-24-2008, 09:54 AM
php uses its own connection functions which are built in

should check em out

mangofreak
02-25-2008, 01:14 AM
Do you mean, connecting PHP and mySQL to create a dynamic page through DW? for that I use a the DW connection setup and I have no issues with it. My problem was of a different nature, more related to MS Access and MySQL connectivity, and the conversion of Acces DB's to MySQL. If you know of functions withing MySQL that would to the convertion, then by all means please send me the info.

I am more confortable with ASP. I have not wrap my head around PHP yet. When I do I'll need all the help I can get.

All is good for now. :D

davidj
02-25-2008, 05:46 AM
Do you mean, connecting PHP and mySQL to create a dynamic page through DW?

nope

mean connecting PHP to MYSQL... Never use dreamweaver to connect to anything

but thats fine that your sorted