PDA

View Full Version : Why is uploading so slow in MX2004?

tsassen
02-19-2008, 05:58 PM
I have loved virtually every aspect of Dreamweaver MX 2004. However, the uploading speeds are brutal. It regularly takes over a minute to upload files that are smaller than 75K. When I try uploading the same files using WS-FTP, the file transfer proceeds quite quickly. So I do not think my Internet connection is the issue here.

In the Remote Info settings, I have input the following:

Access: FTP
FTP host: IP address of our server
Host Directory: (blank)

Use passive FTP is unchecked
Use firewall is unchecked
Use Secure FTP is unchecked

In the Server Compatibility Dialog I have
CHECKED Use FTP performance optimization
UNCHECKED Use alternative DTP move method

Thanks for any suggestions.

domedia
02-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Hi tassen,
2 tips:
1. Contact your host and see if they have experienced something similar from other clients.
2. Check the help fies/manual for the different settings in DW's Remote Info box to see if changing the settings will change anything.

Anyone else using DW to transmit files?

tsassen
02-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Anyone else using DW to transmit files?

Huh. Is it more common that people are using a separate FTP program? I'm happy to hear tips on doing that as well.

Thanks!

d a v e
02-20-2008, 03:52 PM
dw has always been a bit tardy in the ftp department - especially compared to dedicated programmes.

have you installed the latest update from the adobe site?

i use dw for small uploads (quite slow but i do something else while it's doing) or if it's just a site i'm working on and no-one else is synchronising with it then i use the latets filezilla beta which absolutely flies!!!

davidj
02-20-2008, 03:55 PM
IMHO i would use DW to develop your site using a production/development environment. Keep it from the world until your ready to make it live.

When your ready to go live use a 3rd party FTP client to transfer your files. smart or coffee cup are good ones

this is how i develop and drop my files to the server.

tsassen
02-20-2008, 04:02 PM
have you installed the latest update from the adobe site?

I have installed CS3, but have chosen to work in MX2004 because I was experiencing sluggish performance with CS3. I was a long-time GoLive user and sensed some GoLive overhead to CS3. I've liked the stripped-down nature of MX. But I'm open to suggestions.

IMHO i would use DW to develop your site using a production/development environment. Keep it from the world until your ready to make it live.

When your ready to go live use a 3rd party FTP client to transfer your files. smart or coffee cup are good ones

this is how i develop and drop my files to the server.

Our web site (www.goramblers.org (http://www.goramblers.org)) is updated every day with new modules and new information. I need to FTP files almost constantly. I've not heard of fileZilla, Smart, or Coffee Cup, but will investigate.

Thanks very much. These comments have been most helpful.

d a v e
02-20-2008, 04:40 PM
no, i mean the latest updater - i.e patch, not the next version of the programme

tsassen
02-20-2008, 05:18 PM
no, i mean the latest updater - i.e patch, not the next version of the programme

Yes, I think so. I'm running DW 7.0.1, which is what the updater seems to want to update to.