PDA

View Full Version : page will not preview in browser

bmckinney
02-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Newbie, sorry for simple question

I post a page with a dymanic form and can view in preview browser mode.

Then at different times the page will not view, never to be previewed again, The result is I have to re-assemble page.

I am running on a local server, full site is not ready to publish yet.

I have seen some post about parameters and how they don't transfer.
I am not sure what that all, means.
But I am in the dark on why the page will be able to view for a period of time, then disappears.

thanks,
Bobby

mangofreak
02-16-2008, 03:53 PM
What kind of server is it? what kind of language is it? what kind of database?

bmckinney
02-18-2008, 12:44 PM
PHP / filemaker pro/ dreamweaver 8 / fmgateway server.

I am viewing in local view. I have not posted the site live on the web on the server. I am not sure if I can view off the server without uploading the whole site live? I do have the database posted on the server.

I have watched the video tut.s and notice that DJ said something about having two files in the root file. One to work on and one to "fool" dreaweaver that you are posting to the server. I know I have the wwwroot file in the inetpub file. The site name is simply, site1 for now. I do not have another file however, will this be a problem?

Can I few the site off the server without posting live in the internet?

Thanks,
Bobby

Thanks,
Bobby

mangofreak
02-19-2008, 01:14 AM
The idea behind two sets of files, one on your local computer, say C:\Mysite and one on the C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ is to simulate the process you will have to do when publishing your site on the remote host(Live).

Mysite on the c drive would be the files you work on and then upload to the server --> inetpub... files.

Also, it would already of great help to have the connection string to the database and you can test all of your files before you put them live.

That's the short of it, but there is much more.

Regarding PHP I can't help because I mostly work with ASP. However, if you post your files somewhere we can see meny of the fine members of this club could give it shot to find out what the problem is.

You don't need to have your site live: you could use some othe name for your files like testv01.php, nobody know that you have that live so, there is no risk. Hope it helps.