PDA

View Full Version : How to: Username & Password to access exam records

Gremcat
02-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Hi. I do a website for a highschool, very basic, photogalleries and news. Now they want a function where the learners can login with a username and password to access their own exam records. It must obviously not be visible to anyone else but the person logging in. How do I do this? I am familiar with designing but the coding is new to me.

anurag751
02-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Hi, Gremcat
I don't know can you do it in DW but you can password protect pages with many a scripts, password pro 4.0 is best avaliable software for password protecting pages but it is paid or I also have a nice and simple script with me just let me know if you want it

mangofreak
02-15-2008, 12:33 PM
You have to use some server language ASP, PHP and a database. Depending on what server and what support you have you can decide what route to take.

Usually ASP goes well with MS Access, and MS SQL. PHP with MySQL. Those are the most common used laguages and databases.

What can you use?

Gremcat
02-15-2008, 01:15 PM
I have never used a server language before - can you recommend the easiest one to learn? Or where can i find a tutorial? Then MS Access would probably be the most convenient database to use, because the school records would (hopefully) be in some MS Office program. Basically I would like to learn how to do this myself, rather than outsourcing it, (finance limits.)

mangofreak
02-15-2008, 05:30 PM
check this out: http://www.webthang.co.uk/tuts/t_view.asp?gkSortCat=asp&image.x=13&image.y=8

and http://www.webthang.co.uk/tuts/tuts_dmx/rob5/rob5.asp

Also, plan your pages for the front end and the admin pages for the back.

front- Login - welcome

admin side: The previous login can be modified to redirect you to a admin homepage depending on access level, then you would have an "insert" page for intering data, also an "edit/delete" page.

There is a learning curve, but once you do it, it feels great.

good luck. ;D

davidj
02-15-2008, 06:36 PM
mango

does access have the same risks with SQL injection attacks as other db technologies do?

i know its packaged in its own IDE but wasnt sure if it could be manipulated this way

Gremcat
02-16-2008, 02:32 AM
Thanks Mango! I will try it out!

mangofreak
02-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Yes, MS Access is vulnerable to attacks as any other DB, therefore you have to take care of having proper validation on any input forms connected to the DB. Also, to have your BD outside the root/public directory as last but not least, have proper error handling to not let everyone know where the DB file is.

Despite the vulnearbilities, MS access is not a bad option when you deal with a small application where there is relatively low traffic.