PDA

View Full Version : Page won't load

mystic
02-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Hey guys, here's a good one for ya. If I click on a link (Events) on my main page (http://www.mystic-impressions.com) the page won't load, however if you type in the URL (http://www.mystic-impressions.com/events-3.htm) it loads fine.
I checked the spelling on the link. Also, is there an easy way to change the pics on the page or do I have to load them as if I was building the page?
I'm using Dreamweaver 4

Thanks!
Jim

domedia
02-15-2008, 04:17 PM
On your homepage, the events page loaded into the frame where the nav was.. It's not really a good idea to make a site based on frames.

mystic
02-15-2008, 04:39 PM
"It's not really a good idea to make a site based on frames"

Man you're telling me! i'm having lots of problems by using them, how can I get the same look another way?

mangofreak
02-15-2008, 05:20 PM
change your design to css and you'll see that life is better. :D

domedia
02-15-2008, 05:30 PM
CSS= Styling language
HTML = Structure language
Frames = Technique to include external webapges into your webpage.

Frames should never be used to create a certain 'look', it's a complete inappropriate technique :) If you are looking for scrollbars or something, CSS can do this and soo much more. It's a language specifically created for the purpose of styling webpages.

mystic
02-15-2008, 05:41 PM
CSS.. well it looks like it's back to the books and the drawling board.

domedia
02-15-2008, 08:14 PM
For now the quick fix is to use the 'target' attribute in your links. Make sure you target the right frame and use it like this:
<a href="file.html" target="NameOfYourFrame">Link</a>

domedia
02-15-2008, 08:16 PM
CSS.. well it looks like it's back to the books and the drawling board. How you seperate the different layers of a webpage is one of the foundations of web standards. It's always nice to know of these things ahead of time, but like with many things in life most of us learn by diving into things head first, nothing wrong with that :)