PDA

View Full Version : Copying A Dreamweaver Site From Desktop To Laptop

davidlew
02-13-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm authoring a new site in Dreamweaver. Going fine. I'm going away for a few days and want to continue authoring the site on my laptop from the hotel. Can I simply copy the entire file set over to my laptop? Is there any problem in moving a site from one computer to another ? Appreciate any advice..
Davidlew

davidj
02-13-2008, 02:53 PM
if its a static HTML site then you can copy it over fine and it should run locally but i would advise installing a server so you view it through the proper protocol (HTTP)

http://httpd.apache.org/

davidlew
02-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks vm. much appreciated. So I should have no problem in working on the site and then copying the amended site back onto the desktop? The links, etc should still work? Just clarify please what you mean by static...the site is all in HTML..I can see myself having to do this back and forth for some time as my work carries me around the country a lot..david

fwr1000
02-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Please remember though you will have to set up a "New Site" on the laptop or many of the DW features will not work such as correctly keeping track of links you set up on the laptop as you work on the site.

tux
02-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Also, export your site definition and import it to the laptop.

Site/Manage Sites, choose your site from the list and then Export.

Save this file and use it when you set up the site on the laptop.

davidlew
02-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks guys. I did the copy onto DVD loaded it into the laptop and ran the site - but some pages only came up in outline, missing all the graphics, while other pages came up spot on. I see the difference is probably because I didnt export the site and do a New Site on the laptop (only just read your postings this morning). I'll try it again later.

d a v e
02-14-2008, 10:18 AM
don't do a new site - export the site definitions from desktop and then import them to the laptop

if you have free internet access (or you're paying for it anyway) in the hotel then it might be easier to just synchronise with the live site and do your changes that way (obvisouly make edits locally not remotely, then resynchronise/put new)

davidlew
02-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Excellent! Sorted that one. exported the site, then all the files, brought them into another desktop in the office - worked fine.
I'm posting another query on the general forum about bringing data in and selecting it.
Thanks for your help.