PDA

View Full Version : Username/password problem?

anurag751
02-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi, Guys
I use DW for making and uploading my files but once you define your site in DW and put the username and password of your server space you just have to click on the put files button, I don't want that actually my PC is used by other people too and I don't want others to get access to the remote folder or files, how can I get over this problem i.e. I need to put the password everytime I want to put files or see the remote folder?

tux
02-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Hi anurag751,

Not sure if this is what you are after but in your site definition you can choose to save your password or not.

In DW go.... Site/Manage Sites then choose you site and click Edit.

Choose Remote Info and you will be able to remove the tick in the check box that save your password.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Paul

Jittor
02-13-2008, 04:18 PM
You will have to enter your username and password everytime if you do that, which is not that bad if your login info is easy.

If your on a PC, why not set up a new user account for the other users and password protect yours? This way they cannot access the stuff you don't want them to do unless you put it in the shared folder. I have never tried this to see if it will not allow them to use your DW account but it might work.

tux
02-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Using a user account on your PC will help, but if you know where to look you can still access another users files.

Is the content sensitive and are the other users that untrustworthy?

mangofreak
02-14-2008, 04:00 AM
What about creating a site from a USB memory stick.

Have all your files in a stick, create your site definitions but not save the password.

Once you finish working you take your stick and go home. If someone wants to upload to your server, would not have a password since you did not save the password.

Does it make sense? I have never tried it but it seems to me that it would work. Sort of a pain in the neck, though.
:D

tux
02-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Another thought on the subject depending if you are using a local developing environment, ie. WAMP., or your remote folder is on your hosts server.

If you are using WAMP then I think Mango's idea would work. Just set up your local and remote folders on a stick using an alias in WAMP pointing at a remote folder on the stick.

If your remote folder is on the internet ( hosts server ) use the check in/check out facility in your site defs. and syncronize ( Site/Syncronize ) each time you switch machines.

Like Mango, I have not tried either of these but I'm sure either would work.

Regards, Paul

anurag751
02-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks mangofreak and tux it works perfectly now