PDA

View Full Version : Phonebook

yaoogloo
02-11-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm developing a webpage thats designed to be used as a browser homepage and I would like it to include a list of phone number, editable online by the user. Is this possible and being new to website design where could I get the code. I've browsed JavascriptKit, DynamicDrive and JavascriptSource but with no success. Any ideas would be appreciated.

davidj
02-11-2008, 09:36 AM
this is done using a scripting language and a database to store the numbers or data you require. you need a login system as well and would be done using the same technology

you wont find a script that matches what you want so your going to have to get someone else to do this for you or your going to have to start learning

which is it to be

the red pill or the blue pill!

yaoogloo
02-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks davidj, I've got a bit of experience with Access but not on a webpage. I've got Access 2000 and I think it saves as a webpage. If it saves as a webpage why will I need a script and a login system? Am I swallowing the blue pill?

davidj
02-11-2008, 10:03 AM
i dont know anything about ACCESS other than i have used it as a backend on an ASP site i worked on many moons ago

again your going to have to learn how to program

your also going to need to understand the basics before you even attempt to program the server

HTML, CSS and abit of Javascript knowledge will be required. These are the prerequisite's before you start. There is no shortcut just an interest and the will to learn

mangofreak
02-11-2008, 02:23 PM
If you have Access experience then it should be much easier for you to do it than you think.

I am assuming that you are going to try doing it in ASP since MS Access' natural environment would be that (ASP -ACCESS)

Here is a great resource for you to check:
http://www.webthang.co.uk/tuts/tuts_dmx/rob5/rob5.asp
once you are done with it review all their tutorials.

Also you need to check about "connections strings" to connect to your db with DW. once your DB has been uploaded to your server.

Let me know how it goes,

domedia
02-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Am I swallowing the blue pill?The blue pill would be learning how to use the DW systems built in support for ASP. If you have a real interest, the Red Pill, through some guidance from Davidj or Mango will show you how far the rabbit hole goes ;)
(In his left hand, Morpheus shows a blue pill.)
Morpheus: You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. (a red pill is shown in his other hand) You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. (Long pause; Neo begins to reach for the red pill) Remember -- all I am offering is the truth, nothing more.
(Neo takes the red pill and swallows it with a glass of water)

davidj
02-11-2008, 03:04 PM
the thing that you dont see in that film is that after Neo swallows the pill Morpheus turns and says...

err that was a suppository !