PDA

View Full Version : Notepad shows html that DW does not

jetskiron
02-06-2008, 05:31 AM
When I view my pages at uclaim com and click on view source and it opens in Notepad, Notepad shows text that does not appear in code view if Dreamweaver or FrontPage.

I just discovered that my web developer had put a lot of text the same color as the white page background on most of my pages (He said he was unaware that seo's don't like that).

While DW and FP did see the text in code view on my default.asp page, it did not see it on any of the other pages in code view??? So I have been going back slowly doing my editing in Notepad (a big job!) I have no idea how much text (other than one paragraph I found) may be in the other pages "view source" with notepad.

The more I learn, the more problems I find on my website! I'd be forever screwed without you guys.

How do I get to the "Code Inspector" page or view in DW? DW help talks about Code Inspector, but I can't find it.

thanks,
Ron

tux
02-06-2008, 05:46 AM
For code inspector go Window/Code Inspector or just hit F10.

Regards, Paul

d a v e
02-06-2008, 06:15 AM
he should have been aware that that was bad practice and *he* should fix it for free as it was his mistake.

jetskiron
02-06-2008, 06:48 AM
You are right Dave.

Tux, I found the Code Inspector, thanks. But it does not recognize all the text either that is in the Notepad IE view source. Go to any linked page on the Ron Cercone page at uclaim com, "view source" from IE in Notepad and search for the text starting "for help in". That whole paragraph does not show in either DW or FrontPage code views.

thanks, ron

jetskiron
02-06-2008, 07:18 AM
And here is another twist,

I noticed on the uclaim com Ron Cercone page appubs.asp, adjpubs.asp, library.asp and faq.asp on the Free Stuff pages for example that the content is above the <html> tag instead of in the body text when viewed in Dreamweaver and Frontpage code views, but in the IE source view viewed in Notepad, the content is in the body where it should be.

Any idea what is happening there?

thanks,
Ron

domedia
02-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I have not been to your website, but if you can see the text when you view source on your page, but not in DW, it's probably inserted dynamically with ASP.
I would have you 'web developer' fix this for free. He did a big no-no which everyone (at least those who charge money for their services) know is very risky.

jetskiron
02-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks Domedia,

When you wrote "He did a big no-no ...", are you talking about:

1. putting the content above the html tag instead of in the body?

2. inserting text dynamically with ASP?

3. Making text the same color as background?

Definitly yes on number 3 I'm sure.

thanks much

domedia
02-06-2008, 11:47 PM
3 yes. It was a black hat seo technique 8 years ago, now it's just plain silly (or stupid.)

jetskiron
02-08-2008, 08:40 AM
thanks Domedia,

What about the text over the body and <html>? Is that bad for search engines? Can I just cut and paste it below the <body>?

domedia
02-08-2008, 12:26 PM
What about the text over the body and <html>? Is that bad for search engines? Can I just cut and paste it below the <body>? Not entirely sure I know what you mean here..

tux
02-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Hi again Ron,

What about the text over the body and <html>? Is that bad for search engines? Can I just cut and paste it below the <body>?

I'm not sure what you mean about this either. I have had a look at the source to some of your pages and you dont even have a DOC type declaration at the top of your code. A DOC type declaration would look something like this...

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en">

.... and would be the first thing in your code right at the top of the document. Dreamweaver adds this automatically when you create a new page so it is strange that it is missing from all of your pages. You can find out more about it here...

http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html#faq-doctype

I suggest that you validate your site as I suspect that you will find a lot of errors. You can validate your site here...

http://validator.w3.org/

Regards, Paul

jetskiron
02-13-2008, 07:40 PM
thanks much folks,

Domedia and Tux,
If you view the attached zipped faq.asp file in DW code view, it shows the faq text inside < % % > marks above the <html> at the top of the page. But if you do a "view source" of the FAQ page on my Free Stuff page at uclaim.com from Internet Explorer, it displays all that main text in the body section.

I guess I should not worry about it as long as it is visible to the search engines?

thanks,
Ron

jetskiron
02-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Ok, I'm going to throw you guys another little twist on this html not showing in DW thing.

This is some hidden text in "white on white pages" that I wanted to get rid of:

<p style="font-size:1; color:#ffffff;"> For Help in Presenting
Your Insurance Claim: Insurance Claim Law. Unfair Claim Settlement. Insurance Claim Denied. Insurance Claim Questions. Insurance
Claim Procedure. </p>

It did not show up in DW code view on my top level pages or in Notepad when used to open the file on my hard drive. But it does show up in Notepad when I click on View Source while viewing the page (The Peoples Choice page at uclaim.com) online. If I save the online "view source" from within Notepad and name it as filename.asp, it cuts the file size in half and the dynamic parts of the page no longer work.

How do I get rid of this hidden code on these two pages? Its on my two top dynamic pages: Products (products.asp) and Peoples Choice (advice.asp) at uclaim.com

thanks,
Ron

tux
02-13-2008, 09:21 PM
If you view the attached zipped faq.asp file in DW code view, it shows the faq text inside < % % > marks above the <html> at the top of the page. But if you do a "view source" of the FAQ page on my Free Stuff page at uclaim.com from Internet Explorer, it displays all that main text in the body section.

Ron, it looks like ASP code that would show in DW code view. When the page is requested the server processes the ASP code, adds the results to the page then sends the processed HTML back to the browser for display. Therefore you would not see it when you view the source of the page.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards, Paul

tux
02-13-2008, 09:27 PM
How do I get rid of this hidden code on these two pages? Its on my two top dynamic pages: Products (products.asp) and Peoples Choice (advice.asp) at uclaim.com

Ron, zip up the code from the two pages and post them and I'll try to see where the hidden text comes from. The code needs to be from DW and not the view source from the browser.

jetskiron
02-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks Tux,

Yes makes perfect sense. Does the text still get read by the search robots even when its above the <html> tag?

Attached are the two pages zipped that have that hidden text I want gone.

thanks much,
Ron

mangofreak
02-14-2008, 02:49 AM
I have unzipped one of your files "products.asp" and the code you fail to see in DW's design mode is the ASP code that is working in the background for your page. If you delete that code the functionality of the document will be gone. I see that there are SQL queries as well and some javascript functions that also refer to the ASP code. In addition the are loops and many conditional statments.

I would suggest that if you do not know ASP and VBScript and JAVAscript, then you find some help. Unless you want to make your pages Static with only HTML.

jetskiron
02-14-2008, 04:19 AM
Do the search engine robots see that asp code working in the background? I just don't want to get penalized by Google for that white on white text.

Again I just want to delete that text:

Your Insurance Claim: Insurance Claim Law. Unfair Claim Settlement. Insurance Claim Denied. Insurance Claim Questions. Insurance
Claim Procedure. </p>

I downloaded a few asp editors from Download.com:

aspstudio_en.exe
Trellian webpage.exe
fp2006-final-3.00-setup.exe
DHWE3x.zip
protopad.exe

Any thoughts on any of these programs?

thanks,
Ron

mangofreak
02-14-2008, 11:37 AM
I work mostly on ASP and if the SEO would be a problem then I wouldn't do it. As for using an ASP editor. DW is more than capable to dealing with ASP.
It works great for me.

You want to delete the following text?
Claim Procedure. </p>

jetskiron
02-17-2008, 05:11 AM
Thanks Mango,

Yes, I want to delete that text. But the problem is that it is not displayed by Dreamweaver 6.0 in Code View or Code Inspector. I'm going to attach the file advice.asp. If you can find that text using DW please let me know how you found it. I am only able to see it using "View/Source" from within Internet Explorer, which then opens it in Notepad.

Thanks,
Ron

mangofreak
02-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Hi Ron,

It's not in the file you sent. Check the following files or it could be dynamically generated. Also, check, all the files that are included on the page.

includes/header.inc
includes/footer.inc

I am pretty sure that it must be located around the menu on the left bar.

jetskiron
02-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Mango,

You hit the nail on the head! It was in the includes/header.inc file.

Thanks to all of you for your time and help. If any of you need free advice on insurance claims (other than bodily inury, medical and workers comp), PM me with questions and for my cell phone number.

thanks much,
Ron