PDA

View Full Version : Notes form

creel
02-01-2008, 05:20 AM
Hi,

I am trying to create a form on my company web site where the business partners can enter a text, say notes etc. and save that text on that form, so that when another partner goes to that form those notes can be read.
I also want to be able to keep adding text/notes to that form without deleting the previous text.
This particular page is in a password protected area so that only the business partners get access to it.
I do not want to send the form anywhere, just want to save text inputed in that form.
Can this be done, if so, how? I am using Dreamweaver 8.
Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

davidj
02-01-2008, 09:36 AM
you need to use a server side language like PHP to do this

this requires a level of programming experience or the will to learn a programming language. You will need a good understanding of HTML and be happy in a coding environment. If your boss has asked you to do this in between other jobs you normally do then your on a slippery slope and he needs a smack in the chops for being a helmet!

There is allot to take on board here

you need a scripting environment which includes PHP, Apache, MYSQL (there are Microsoft versions of the software) These have to be installed on your system. You will need admin access to install these on your intranet or you will need a good relationship with your network administrators

If your not a programmer then your going to have to pass the ball to someone else especially if your expected to implement this over the next week or two

if you do have the time and the interest to learn (the latter being the most important bit) then there are video tutorials on this site to get you started

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm/php-mysql-apache.php

you should be able to read and understand HTML before taking this task on

welcome to the forum creel

domedia
02-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Adobe also has some tutorials available although actually learning a programming language is unbeatable.
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/developer_toolbox.html

dazzclub
02-01-2008, 03:10 PM
and let Coffee be your dirty misstress of the night.......and into the morning aswell.

creel
02-01-2008, 07:10 PM
thanks people!
And here I thought that Dreamweaver may have already the ability to create such a page without having to go into programming etc.. This is for my own company's web site, so I can give permission to myself! :wink:
But, I really do not have the time and to be honest, the inclanation to spend hours learning how to write script etc., that is one of the main reasons I got Dreamweaver.
Am wondering if there are ready made scripts for something similar already available?....if not, then I guess I'll just have to let this idea go for now.

domedia
02-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Did you even go to the link I posted?

creel
02-01-2008, 09:29 PM
yes, I had a look at it, however from what I could acertain from the various pages is that still, understanding of script and programming is a benefit and a lot of things were mentioned that I do not know nor understand.
I have never gone into the depth of scipting, programming etc, not really of big interest to me, as I have said, I really do not have the inclanation nor the time to learn these in an in depth way.
I may well let a pro web designer do it for me down the track.

domedia
02-01-2008, 09:58 PM
yes, I had a look at it, however from what I could acertain from the various pages is that still, understanding of script and programming is a benefit and a lot of things were mentioned that I do not know nor understand. I think if you look a little again you'll see that there's a framework for the server side technologies available that means you don't have to learn programming, although it is helpful.

Either way, if you are going to architect it yourself, knowing programming or not, you need to know the basics of how the script communicates with the DB. Or else you're just stumbling blindly into something you have no idea what is. :) I'm thinking since you also mentioned password protecting information, there might be sensitive data. If so you might as well get someone to do it for you so you don't accidentally build an insecure system. Anyways good luck and feel free to use our job posting board if needed.