PDA

View Full Version : CS3 Setup Fails

tecknomage
01-30-2008, 02:18 PM
My system info:
WinXP Pro SP2
Have Dreamweaver 8.0.2 installed and it runs

I am trying to install CS3 Upgrade, which I qualify for according to Adobe Upgrade policy page.

No matter which method I try to run CS3 Setup (from CD menu or by SETUP.EXE on CD), I get the small dialog with the progress bar and when it reaches 100% a window opens, but very quickly closes.

No install, no error msg.

Tech Support was no help. Their suggestions and references did not address the problem.

Any ideas?

domedia
01-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Did noone (instructions or support) tell you to uninstall DW8 before you install CS3?
I thought that was the case.

tecknomage
01-30-2008, 02:42 PM
There is a problem, Dreamweaver 8 will not uninstall.

Get an error with "source not available" in the dialog. No idea what that means.

According to noonie support, since I'm installing an upgrade package, I should keep 8 so CS3 Upgrade install see it.

davidj
01-30-2008, 02:46 PM
There is a problem, Dreamweaver 8 will not uninstall.

i think you have answered your own Q

i think your DW8 install is corrupt and this is throwing you an upgrade error

you may have to perform an O/S rebuild and start again.

Its a pain but you dont half feel better once its done and everything works and is faster.

you could try a repair with the original DW disk which may allow you to uninstall the version

tecknomage
01-30-2008, 02:51 PM
WinXP rebuild just for Dreamweaver CS3!

NO WAY! I'll do without CS3. Don't really need it.

davidj
01-30-2008, 02:58 PM
try a repair first

stick the DW disk in and click the repair option (or install over the top of the original may work if it allows you)

tecknomage
01-30-2008, 03:56 PM
try a repair first

stick the DW disk in and click the repair option (or install over the top of the original may work if it allows you)

Tried that, no work.

Know what is causing the problem. Looked up the error in Microsoft's Expert Help on WinXP. The installer/uninstaller is looking for the original path to installation source folder. Problem, some f!!!ing installers put files in your user-temp folder. If these get removed, repair/uninstall gets this error. Some installers (like NERO) actually remove these files when the install is completed or prior to an update (including removing the update install), talk about head-up-their-ass.

In the case of NERO they are well aware of this because if you have this problem (uninstalling NERO) tech support will give you a link to download a NERO cleanup tool.

In the case of DW8, I would have to find the install path entries in the Registry and change them, likely to the install CD folder. But, like I said, I don't really need CS3, just got it at a bargain price. I'll just stick with DW8.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway. Have a good day.