PDA

View Full Version : Convert layers to threads while using CSS question

Oldsurf
01-30-2008, 02:49 AM
Hello:
Oh man, I've been killing myself over the basic page layout question. One of my books suggests creating layers for my banner, graphics, and menus, etc. So I did and the image I placed in the banner layer, at the main page top, I inserted using a CSS (because I want this appearing on every page within the website).
All went well until I converted the layer-filled page to a table. The newly createed single table omits any layer holding an image!! What's up with this? If converting layer to tables kills your layers' images, then when and how do you include your layer contents? I hope this make sense.
Thanks anybody.

domedia
01-30-2008, 02:01 PM
You have an old copy of DW which still have the 'convert layers to tables'. Don't use it, it was never a good idea, and you can't rely on an old version of DW to create tables for browsers from the future. Simply don't convert to tables and you're good.

Oldsurf
01-31-2008, 04:14 AM
Could you please give me some pointers for creating a basic page layout? I formerly used frames, which helped me create a great website, but that method won't center pages and adjust to various types of video resolutions. Then I tried just tables, then just layers, with mixed results. I have DW MX 2004.
What method do you suggest for creating the initial page layout?
Thanks! Help!

tux
01-31-2008, 07:01 AM
Learn CSS for your layout. Try these.

http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

http://www.subcide.com/tutorials/csslayout/index.aspx

Regards, Paul

Oldsurf
01-31-2008, 08:46 PM
I've used CSS for setting & changing formatting (fonts, colors, background images) but using it for page design seems daunting. Okay, I'll give it a try. One final question, please: Many CSS tutorial sites out there offer free code you can "paste into you favorite browser" and use. I've done this, pasting the code into notepad and then open it in DW MX 2004. But then, how do you bring it to life? How do you view/see the final design (in Design Mode)? When working with this free CSS code in Code View, Design View is grayed out. Why is that? I'm missing a step here. Thanks.
OS

tux
02-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Dont paste them into notepad, create a new page in DW and paste them in there.

The CSS code is not the website code. You still need your html code.

For example: You will build your html page (i.e.index.html) and then the elements of the page are positioned using CSS.

The CSS code can be writen in the head of the page or referenced as an external file (i.e. styles.css). This CSS file is then referenced in the head of the page like this....

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles.css">

... then changes made in the styles.css file will reflect how your html page looks.

The links in my previous post are a great way to start learning so I suggest you go through them. I used these and they helped me a great deal.

Good luck.

Oldsurf
02-01-2008, 08:26 PM
I'll go to it. Much appreciated.

tux
02-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Your welcome Oldsurf, good luck.