PDA

View Full Version : Layering Tables?

Death Dream
01-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Let me explain what I'm trying to do first. I am have two bodies I want to put in my background but I want one body to be on the left side of the screen with her back against the end of the page and then the same with the other side. So I will align it left and them valign it to the bottom with the left girl. So no mater how big the page is she will always be to the left and the bottom. She will have her own Table but I want like her arms to go under the main table that holds all the content, if the person has a low resolution that is.

If you know what I mean, how could I do something like this? I don't want to make a background image with them in it because then the two girls backs wont always be against the edges.

Thanks in advance,
Death Dream

domedia
01-24-2008, 05:42 PM
If you're stuck designing this the archaic method by using tables, we need some help from someone that still uses tables for layout. Anyone?

Death Dream
01-24-2008, 05:50 PM
I just find the Draw Layout Table and Cell functions really easy. I have yet to start designing the actual site yet, I am planning ahead right now and want to make sure I go down the right path. So if you know a better way feel free to explain. It was easier for me to describe things as if I was working in Layout Mode.

~Death Dream~

mangofreak
01-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Whay don't you show your vision as JPG or gif so we can come up with a perhaps better approach? after all the more brains to help the better right?

domedia
01-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Great idea Mango!

Death Dream
01-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Think of the red and blue boxes like the bodies. Their back starts against the edge and at the bottom of the page. Now the other picture shows what would happen if the person had the window size differently, the bodies then go behind the body text.

Hope that makes sense.

~Death Dream~

domedia
01-28-2008, 03:41 PM
So you want 2 background images.
One always aligned to the bottom left of the browser window, and the other one always aligned to the bottom right of the browser window.

If the page is really long, do you want the bodies only to appear when the user have scrolled all the way down, or do yuo want them always visible in the viewport no matter where the user scrolls?

Death Dream
01-28-2008, 04:15 PM
I always found the scrolling images to be annoying but I think that might work best with what I'm trying to achieve. So lets go with that idea.

~Death Dream~

mangofreak
01-28-2008, 05:29 PM
You can use the left image as background and the right image, as a simple image.

Now you have to make sure you play with your Z levels to have the proper stacking order.

let us know your if it works.
J.

Death Dream
01-28-2008, 05:49 PM
I am wanting to know how to do it ....

The only responses I get is pictures and what I'm wanting to do. I'm asking how do I do it. Something about putting the left in my background will make the file size huge if I want scan lines in the background and not just a solid color. I am trying to keep the background with just a 1x2 image and have two different images that move along the page now. If I place it in the background they will not move with the scroller.

~Death Dream~

domedia
01-28-2008, 06:17 PM
1. Make 2 nested div's, all your content goes into these 2.
2. Make a background for each div, one aligned bottom left, the other one bottom right. Set background-repeat to none so it only appears once.

Death Dream
01-29-2008, 01:01 PM
I guess the term Nested Div's is new to me. I rarely coded Divs into my pages unless Dreamweaver does it behind my back when I'm not looking. Is there a good tutorial that you know of that could describe this?

~Death Dream~

domedia
01-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Nested div's are just like this, one inside the other:
<div id="outer">
<div id="inner">
The rest of your site here
</div>
</div>

I've added an ID on each of them so it will be easier for me to apply CSS.
Now in the stylesheet I can add background images like this:
#outer { background: url(bodyone.jpg) bottom left no-repeat;}
#inner { background: url(bodytwo.jpg) bottom right no-repeat;}

If this makes little sense to you, see if you can find some good CSS learning stuff in the help files, adobes website or maybe a nice CSS book :) Once you start using CSS, it will make your world so much easier.

Death Dream
01-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Yeah that makes more sense now.

You like CSS more than HTML? I've just been using HTML for about 4 or 5 years now and just never had a reason to learn CSS.

~Death Dream~

domedia
01-29-2008, 01:54 PM
You like CSS more than HTML? They do not exclude each other. A webpage needs both. HTML to add sense to your content (semantic markup), and CSS for presentation.

Death Dream
01-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Ah yeah I saw a post by Carl just a few mins ago that I read up on and just got a hint of what is going on.

Edit: Hell yeah! Got it working man thanks to the code you posted above. It looks really good now. I know this isn't really Dreamweaver related by do you know a good way on taking out the white pixels around a transparent gif image?

~Death Dream~

Death Dream
01-29-2008, 03:36 PM
When I said Carl above I meant Cary.

He helped me again in another post: http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27104

Solved =D

~Death Dream~