PDA

View Full Version : Layout shifts when viewed in explorer

brasstacks
01-18-2008, 04:13 AM
I have constructed a site that has pages that only expand downward. when I fill the main cell with enough copy to need scrolling my menus down the left of the page separate. Artwork was originally done in fireworks. I also notice a slight jump to the left on this page compared to the shorter pages that hold together. Also used background artwork in the expanding cells
Is there a way to lock down my menu cells
Excuse the layman's terms here, I am a graphic designer fairly new to web work

Any help would be appreciated:confused:

Phill

domedia
01-18-2008, 12:59 PM
You're not providing any code or url, so I'm going to guess:
1. You have a table based layout.
2. Some of your TD's needs valign="top"
3. The 'jump' to the left you mention is because of the vertical scrollbar appearing when content is taller than the viewport. This is expected behavior.

If this is completely wrong, I'll let someone else guess ;)

brasstacks
01-18-2008, 04:32 PM
The slight jump in the page when the scrolling bar appears now you mention it is obvious, I should have realized that.
I assigned "top" alignment to all the cells in that column except the bottom cell . It still breaks them apart when viewed in Explorer (no problem in Safari or Opera) I will try a few variations today however it would be great if you could look over the page I have posted.
As a designer I am still getting familiar with the HTML code and besides the obvious it still looks like chinese to me.
Here is the temporary link to the site.
file:///Users/phillipbrassington/Sites/Brasstacks%20Website/AHBY_website/AHBY_about_us.htm
The about us page is the one giving me trouble but as I intend to ad more copy and images to other pages I would like to solve this mistery!

Appreciate it!

Phill

domedia
01-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Here is the temporary link to the site.
file:///Users/phillipbrassington/Sites/Brasstacks%20Website/AHBY_website/AHBY_about_us.htm
This is not a page that is on the web :wink:

brasstacks
01-18-2008, 05:18 PM
I had a bunch of pages up looks like I wasn't paying attention!:roll:

Thanks

Phill

http://www.brasstackscreative.com/AHBY_website/AHBY_about_us.htm

domedia
01-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Every single nav image is inside a separate table cell. Put them all in the same cell.

brasstacks
01-19-2008, 07:00 PM
I solved most of the issues except the spaceing
I will give that a shot
Thanks I do appreciate you looking that over for me.

I will let you know when all is sorted out

Phill

brasstacks
01-19-2008, 07:13 PM
I made all of the navigation in fireworks. Would this be something I would edit in fireworks or Dreamweaver? I just took it for granted fireworks would place everything as it should.

Phill

brasstacks
01-20-2008, 01:49 AM
domedia

Thanks that was the fix I was looking for. Everthing is tight to the top of the page
Appreciate it,

Phill