PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - learning the basics

Rwb
01-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Hey guys,

well as most people seem to do I jumped into the whole building a website thing thinking that it would be easy and that I would pick it up once I played around with it for a bit. Now one month later and I reckon I am no better off then when I first started. I have watched tutorials on youtube and read a few from websites but it seems I have learnt some bad habits which come back to bite me in the bum further down the track into building my website.

What I'm looking for is a good online tutorial whether it be video or reading it really doesn't bother me but one that will teach me the basics and start me off on good habits. I understand that there may not be the perfect one out there but I thought I would give it a shot before going out and blowing a few grand on professional lessons. So how did you guys start and do you have any websites that would teach a beginner like me where to start?

Thanks in advance,
Max.

davidj
01-17-2008, 02:41 PM
OK

HTML. Learn it so you can code it by hand
CSS. Its the future... Well, its actually now. Learn it
Javascript. This as well. Just learn enough to get an idea as there is way too much info on this to learn in a short time.I bought a computer in the early 90's. I was fascinated by the code behind it all and started to learn. I tended to dive into the code often adding tweaks and learning at the same time.

The worst mistake you can make in this industry is rely on Dreamweaver without knowing any code. Use the tools Dreamweaver provides but its necessary to be able to understand what its doing behind the scenes.

i advise you to conjure up some pretend projects. Some make-believe company has asked you to create their web presence. Jot down their requirements, Industry, goals etc then go and see what the competition have (not to copy from but to weigh up your competition) then design it in photoshop or other design package. Get a static concept image to give you a feel of how its going to look then slice it and export it and finally code it.

Then do another one

and another

and another

this not only trains you but also adds to your portfolio

domedia
01-17-2008, 02:43 PM
1. spend time on the web, get to know the medium.
2. You can't learn a profession from youtube. You can't learn *any* profession from youtube afaik.
3. Get professional training material, like Sitepoint books, Lynda videos etc.
4. Make as many websites you can to gain some experience. :)
5. Be patient, this is not easy (whatever gave you that idea??)
6. If in 1 year you do not have the basics of usability, accessibility, information architecture, user focused design & interface and web standards down, pick another profession.

davidj
01-17-2008, 02:47 PM
6. If in 1 year you do not have the basics of usability, accessibility, information architecture, user focused design & interface and web standards down, pick another profession.

there is a member who needs to absorb this point

mr leo! You listening

maybe thats a little unfair but no one has ever suprised me with questions of help of that of a first year student than he has

d a v e
01-17-2008, 04:42 PM
these are good places to start
http://www.htmldog.com/

and http://www.w3schools.com/

ck-1
01-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Hey guys,

well as most people seem to do I jumped into the whole building a website thing thinking that it would be easy and that I would pick it up once I played around with it for a bit. Now one month later and I reckon I am no better off then when I first started. I have watched tutorials on youtube and read a few from websites but it seems I have learnt some bad habits which come back to bite me in the bum further down the track into building my website.

What I'm looking for is a good online tutorial whether it be video or reading it really doesn't bother me but one that will teach me the basics and start me off on good habits. I understand that there may not be the perfect one out there but I thought I would give it a shot before going out and blowing a few grand on professional lessons. So how did you guys start and do you have any websites that would teach a beginner like me where to start?

Thanks in advance,
Max.

There are videos you can access here on this site. It helps if you atleast have a coding background. I'm currently where you are just grasping the subject and material. What I have done is buy a Dreamweaver Book and do the mini-projects on the tuturial of the CD (Don't know the name of the book off-hand). I feel more comfortable with the software, but I'm not where I want to be just yet. Hang in there, it will come to you..

Rwb
01-19-2008, 02:24 AM
1. spend time on the web, get to know the medium.
2. You can't learn a profession from youtube. You can't learn *any* profession from youtube afaik.
3. Get professional training material, like Sitepoint books, Lynda videos etc.
4. Make as many websites you can to gain some experience. :)
5. Be patient, this is not easy (whatever gave you that idea??)

Thanks I went on the sitepoint website and found some useful books, should be on their way now.

Rwb
01-19-2008, 02:26 AM
There are videos you can access here on this site. It helps if you atleast have a coding background. I'm currently where you are just grasping the subject and material. What I have done is buy a Dreamweaver Book and do the mini-projects on the tuturial of the CD (Don't know the name of the book off-hand). I feel more comfortable with the software, but I'm not where I want to be just yet. Hang in there, it will come to you..

Do you know where I can get a hold of this dreamweaver book? I would appreciate it if you could get me the name of the book for me, thanks.

these are good places to start
http://www.htmldog.com/

and http://www.w3schools.com/

Thank you, both look like very helpful sites.