PDA

View Full Version : saga re: website doover, specially need help understanding forms and dynamic

nsfwebwriter
01-15-2008, 03:52 PM
ok,

i am, working with a voluntary organisation, last year someone registered a website for us with the same server that they have for thiers and the somone else designed a website, (which i now appreciate way more than i did before) but did not update frequently, and then stopped helping. these people are no longer available.

so, as there really was noone else around to do this, i took on the job of updating the website, and basically reworking it, as well as writing all of the content, as a lot needs to be change. I have dreamweaver cs3 to work with (thankfully)on a vista pc, and i am pretty proud with how much i have been able to do( particularily my colour coded spry menue bar) considering i had no prio knowledge re behind the scenes of websites.

i downloaded what was on the website and am working on in on my laptop, (so i still dont know how to choose a website address or a host server or anything, and am using images and structures already provided) and have been fidling around with things, mostly using a reworked template.

what i need to be able to add at this stage is a form, or a couple of them, one just to take names and email adresses, and i will need to work out how to take donations, and also sell things via the web that are part of our art program (10% of proceeds feeding into the charity).

this is where i draw a black, as far as i know this is dynamic stuff. i have watched a couple of video tutorials regarding designing forms, but i don't know how to process information, link to databases etc. i do not have a testing server and i really need to know, as simply as possible, what to do.

i saw a tutorial about wampserver, but was not sure if this was applicable to me, and also as i already have work saved for the website, am very protective of loosing it.

any help and advise would be appreciated.

thank you

J

marcia
01-15-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm pretty new at this myself, but can perhaps send you in the right direction for dynamic info. Someone else could probably tell you if you can somehow use a static page to get this info.

Try 'Teach Yourself Visually Dreamweaver 8', by Janine Warner (you can get it used - and cheap) at Amazon.com, chapter 16 or watch her video, 'Total Training', lessons 10, 11, 12. She will tell you in detail how to install a testing server, but you'll need Windows XP Professional.

Try Go Daddy for your hosting. Look them up on the Internet and call them. They are quite helpful.

marcia
01-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Upon rethinking your situation, you probably don't need a dynamic website.

Web hosting companies may have a form available for you to use with your site. Search their Website or speak to customer support. Also, many ready-made form handlers are available for free on the Web, tho they generally require some customization.

nsfwebwriter
01-17-2008, 04:27 PM
thank you, i will try to look into those thing( though i do not know how to find info about the hosting company for the website or how to get into contact with them- any ideas) however i think that i at least need to understand whats going on a little more so that i can make decisions. (is windows xp proffesional better than windows vista?)

to be honest i think that what i need to start with is testing servers, when editing in the site manager, it gives options for using different kinds of testing severs, php coldfusion assp jsp etc. and i would like some information on what the differences are, how to find out if one is compatible with the website hosting server that i have ( please remember i did not set this up in the first place) and how to choose the location ( baring in mind i am not ready to actually update the website on the internet with what i have on my own computer- what i am working on). Also are these options available as part of dreamweaver, or will i need to download these somewhere?

please help. i know i must seem pretty hopeless, but the only way to cure ignorance is with knowledge.

Thank You

J

domedia
01-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Contact your hosting company to find out which server side languages they support on your account. They'll be able to help you with other info as far as updating your website etc.

Make sure you need some of the articles in the developer center on dreamweaver.com

nsfwebwriter
01-17-2008, 05:29 PM
ok. heres the big one.

how do i contact the host, how do i know who the host it, ( i connected with ftp and other info passed on to me,) but i don't know who they are, or where and how the domain name is regester, other than contacting the original designer ( possibly impossible) is there any way i can find this stuff out?

thank you, for your patiece

marcia
01-17-2008, 07:01 PM
this is not a dreamweaver question. The best advice I can give you is to see who your organization is paying their bill to. They probalby bill the org. once a month. Most often your host co. will be the same co. that registers the domain name. If not, the domain name company will bill once or twice a year, and you should find the invoice. Hope this helps. Let me know.

nsfwebwriter
01-17-2008, 07:31 PM
actually, i think whoever set it up added it to an account they already had and so have been paying for it, as a donation, so we don't get billed.

is the ftp host, a clue to the host server? ( possibly very very dumb question)

also i looked up the domain name on register.com and found this info.

Registrar:
Pipex Communications UK Ltd t/a 123-Reg.co.uk [Tag = 123-REG]
URL: http://www.123-reg.co.uk

Name servers:
ns1.blue-dreamer.co.uk
ns2.blue-dreamer.co.uk

not sure if this info can provide the key?

domedia
01-17-2008, 07:43 PM
You need to ask whoever is paying for hosting, who the host is. Shouldn't be too hard.