PDA

View Full Version : Basic CMS/Joomla help please!!!

Vinnie
01-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi guys,

Am really struggling with something and hope you might be able to help me :roll: I'll apologise first as they're prob pretty dumb questions but as a rookie I'll ask away!

1) Is it possible to use e.g. Joomla as a WYSIWIG editor to access and edit a website that was built in Dreamweaver (mx2004) in html? If so, is some sort of code needed on the pages in order for them to be accessed via the frontend/backend (hmm..getting confused on that score too!) :confused:

2) Kind of following on from Q1... to create a news page in a format like this (example site (http://www.peterchapplehyam.com/News/index%20news%20v2.htm)), presumably this uses a MySQL database? Does that mean a basic news page that was built in html would have to be scrapped and replaced with another sort of page e.g. PHP? The one in the example seems to be a .htm page...

3) The site I'm hoping to apply Joomla to is hosted by HU where Joomla can be installed directly onto the server but I don't know WHERE to install it! Is a seperate directory needed? I think if it doesn't go in a directory it replaces the website's existing home page.

The user manual for Joomla appears comparable to War and Peace and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for! It's very frustrating - Joomla looks as though it's really user friendly so the fact that I can't figure it out is doing my head in! :x

Any help/advice/suggestions would be v much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

domedia
01-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Joomla is a CMS, you can not use it as a WYSIWYG editor for another website.

edbr
01-11-2008, 12:28 AM
you seem to be looking at Joomla as an appliation but really it isthe site itself just a way of administering your site (database) .
Joolmla is great for getting a site up quickly but it has limitations , one being that it is not easy to adapt.
There is an extension (free) for dreamweaver to manage Joomla.
If you really want to use Joomla, set up a server on your local computer and play around with it there. It will be quicker to make and review any changes, and In my opinion , will show you quicker that there are better ways of managing sites.

Vinnie
01-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks both for replying.

edbr - that's the prob...I dont' want a 'Joomla' site per se, had just hoped to use it to manage content whilst keeping my own designs.

You mention that there are quicker methods of managing sites - could you give me any suggestions please? I'll happily use something else, but am at a loss as to what the options are! Thanks

davidj
01-11-2008, 03:41 PM
edbr - that's the prob...I dont' want a 'Joomla' site per se, had just hoped to use it to manage content whilst keeping my own designs.

you use Joomla to create your site or CMS. you add your skin or theme and decorate it as you like. Joomla manages content. Thats what it does and its very powerful.

You mention that there are quicker methods of managing sites

If you have allot of content which changes rapidly and you have users which are not techies that perform updates and add their own images rather like a departmental intranet then Joomla is for you.
If you have allot of content or wanting a system which stores allot of user information then you can use a scripting language to write the site but this requires a good understanding of code.what are you looking for in a web site?

what do you have in mind?