View Full Version : Embedding a FLV file

tommisauce
01-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Info:
Apple Mac
OS 10.5.1
Dreamweaver 8

Hi there,
I am attempting to embed a FLV file into a HTML document (an editable region based on a template) however when embedding the video the following message comes up: Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or a translator. The change will be discarded.

I don't understand why the message comes up as where I am trying to insert the FLV is in an editable region. Also I have also tried to use the tutorial Presenting Video with the Flash Video Component in Dreamweaver http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/flv_tutorial.html and get the same message. Now I would like to think when doing a tutorial nothing should go wrong, so I'm stuck to think why this message would show up on a help file as well.

Any ideas anyone? Obviously I need this to work as this is the only way to embed a Flash video file in Dreamweaver.

Many thanks in advance.

Cary
01-08-2008, 10:34 PM
DW needs to add javascript code and/or links to the head of the html if the necessary code isn't there already. It can't do this if the area it needs to change isn't editable.

Try embedding the flv in a test page that isn't based on a template. Pay close attention to what code was added to the page when the flv was embedded. If any of the new code is in an area which isn't editable in you template-based pages then you can try pasting that new code into your template so it will already be present in pages based on that template.

Then try embedding the flv in the page you originally wanted it to appear in and see if DW still complains about not being able to do everything it wants to do.

If this doesn't work then you can try going into preferences. Under the "Code Rewriting" category uncheck the "Insert using browser-safe scripts" box next to "Active Content:". Then try inserting the flv again.

Cary
01-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Any javascript link paths added to the head of the page and copied to the template should be either absolute or root-relative.

neonfluxx
01-09-2008, 03:28 AM
It means that the area is not propoerly set up. I do templetes like that and add swf just fine.

mmrempen
07-16-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm bumping this because I'm having this exact same issue, but the replies above aren't helping. What do I need to change in the template in order to get the FLV to embed?

davidj
07-16-2008, 04:40 PM
start your own post mmrempen

saves confusion