PDA

View Full Version : newbie need help with building a web site

vova
01-08-2008, 05:55 AM
I am new to building websites. Thought it would be easy.... Got myself a project that I now must complete.
Anyways I would like to know first is what should I use to make a page HTML or CSS?
How can I create a page that is looking like the attachment?

I hope that it will not frustrate anybody with my first grade questions. But your help with building the site would be so much appreciated. So please help me.

Thank you so much.

edbr
01-08-2008, 07:34 AM
all sites are made using html, css is for styling.
follow some tutorials and ask for help if (and when) you get stuck. There are some templates on this site that might help you along also

domedia
01-08-2008, 02:45 PM
I am new to building websites. Thought it would be easy.... Got myself a project that I now must complete. That is actually a bit funny :) Welcome to the world of web dev. It's not as easy as you you think 8-)

vova
01-08-2008, 03:48 PM
It is funny but that is where I am at and I do intend to learn and will be doing everything I can to do so.:)
Sometimes they say a best way to learn to swim is be thrown into the deep and swim your way back. That is a situation that I am in except I threw myself in the deep and now must swim sinking is not an option.:lol:
But all the support from this forum is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

hmobley
01-09-2008, 07:16 AM
start with a free template, it takes alot of the guesswork out of it, I use photoimpact 12 to redo the template and then put it into D8 here is one I am working on www. opt-1.com, which we put a php script in for business listings. ow we have to customize script. but it began as a free template

d a v e
01-09-2008, 07:27 AM
hmobley have you checked your page in firefox? the problem with using a background image like you have (and it's a bit hefty at 150k) is getting things lined up - and the whole layout falls apart when you resize the text ;)

hmobley
01-09-2008, 02:42 PM
I have always had an issue when putting text, buttons, etc in Dreamweaver and optimizing for IE then firefox is always off like 10 pixels, I know there is code snippet out there, saw it somewhere, that corrects this, I need to look into it.

tux
01-11-2008, 01:02 PM
hmobley, I just looked at your site ( www.opt-1.com (http://www.opt-1.com) ) in IE6 and the page is off to the right with a horizontal scroll bar. Did you design it on a greater screen res. I viewed it at 1024x768. Also, dave is right the BG Img is a bit bit at 150k, surely it could be reduced. Sorry for poking my nose in but thought the feedback might be useful. Tidy looking site tho'.

hmobley
01-11-2008, 03:38 PM
I am using 1152 x 864 on my main computer, but I did just check it at the lower resolution and yes its off slightly on the scroll bar, and the other way at a higher resolution. thats not the issue here though, its how Firefox renders as compared to IE, Firefox has buttons, text, etc (must be the layers) about 10 pixels down from where IE shows it. Or if I set everything for Firefox then IE is off. Everything I can find regarding Firefox is that this is an issue with it, but I did see somewhere someone posted a code snippet which I thought took care of it, I can't remember where I saw it, thanks