PDA

View Full Version : CSS Pain in the ASS

WillBoss
01-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi

I have been using dreamweaver for a few years now but I have been buiolding sites using tables. I recently started with CSS layouts but the are just killing me. Dreamweaver doesnt seem to display them correctly and when I view them in the browser they are completely different. Why is working with CSS made so dificult as opposed to working with tables? In a few minutes I can get the layout I want using tables, CSS it can take hours!!

Can someone explain what the problem with Dreamweaver is and how are you supposed to get your layour correct if you cant see it as you work?

Cheers!

m1a2x3x7
01-07-2008, 05:55 PM
See I have the opposite problem I hate using tables and find it much easier to use CSS. Paste your code so we can see what is wrong.

d a v e
01-07-2008, 09:30 PM
what version of DW are you using?

Cary
01-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Whenever you make changes, check how things look in real browsers. As you gain experience you'll know what affect to expect a given styling to have regardless of what DW may be displaying.

DW CS3 is supposed to be pretty accurate. I'm using DW 8 which renders some things correctly while it renders other things much the way IE 6 does.

Electrodesign
01-10-2008, 07:10 AM
I had the same problem and concerns until i tried a new approach.
I found a great tutorial and, while tutorials can be a bit daunting, once the basics were learned it spurred me on to use CSS more, try this tutorial for a basic site which I always use as my starting point
http://www.subcide.com/tutorials/csslayout/index.aspx

Hope this helps

davidj
01-10-2008, 11:22 AM
I have been using dreamweaver for a few years now but I have been buiolding sites using tables. I recently started with CSS layouts but the are just killing me

I sympothise sooo much

im in your camp

What irritates is that it is constructed using a collection of hacks. In order for this browser to work and that browser to work you have to have this style and that style. Its just a pig to work with some times and not very pretty (although ironicaly produces pretty work)

now before you all start bashing the keys with your arty fingers while trying to reposition your french beret's and cravats........ Just Chillax

i have used CSS from the early days adopting it to style my elements rather than position them. I am slowly weening myself off the milky goodness of tables and taking on this trendy SOYA replacement of CSS.

so to sum up i agree that the power that CSS provides is a nessessary skillset every designer must be exposed too so my issue is not with CSS really its with browser standards and how they render instruction. It would be so much easier if they all sang from the same hymn sheet.

[/rant]

WillBoss
01-22-2008, 04:36 PM
I had the same problem and concerns until i tried a new approach.
I found a great tutorial and, while tutorials can be a bit daunting, once the basics were learned it spurred me on to use CSS more, try this tutorial for a basic site which I always use as my starting point
http://www.subcide.com/tutorials/csslayout/index.aspx

Hope this helps

Thanks for that tutorial! and thanks DavidJ for seeing where I am coming from.
That tutorial was a bit daunting in some places and of course Dreamweaver didnt play ball all of the time.
That design was very sinple in that tutorial but what had to be done to acheive it was a bit much in my opinion. I could have completed that design in a few minutes using tables. You have to overcome bugs here and there and for this and that.

Is there not a WYSIWYG for designing using CSS layouts? Dreamweaver currently isnt one because What you See is not what you get.

When creating tables I just clicked on the table tab and said I wanted so many rows and so many cols. If I wanted I put a table within a table and I never noticed any difference in any browser! Why cant this be done simply in Dreamweaver??

CSS is still a pain in the ASS!:(

WillBoss
01-22-2008, 04:38 PM
what version of DW are you using?
I am currently using DW CS3.

dazzclub
01-22-2008, 05:58 PM
pain in the arse it is, sometimes.

I did use dreamweaver alot, not for "ease" of coding but for control and easy access to my folders on numerous sites i have, shitty reason i know. Also for the way it colours types of code and highlights incorrect syntax, i like that alot.

I now use notepad ++, purely becase i felt i had to get back to grass roots. Depending on quick clicks here and there to drop some code in was basicly robbing me of simple stuff i should really know.

In an industry where css is now used, theres no point using tables to build a site (in some areas, tables are applicable), you cant swim against the tide as they say, you can try but you`d be the only person who does in a sea who doesnt.

you`ll end up building sites for a company of a friend of a friend who doesnt know shit, and honestly, hurting yourself as a professional in the process if you dont use css. Know one wants to hire a designer who builds sites in what is said to be in an outdated method.

stick to trying to builds site in css dude. Annoying it can be. but fulfilling it is.

good luck mate.

shit that was my longest post, i better chillax, lol

:)

WillBoss
01-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Dazzclub you are correct when you say 'I cant swim against the tide' I'll have to go the the CSS side of table fully asap. I have been using css for a number of years but it was only relating to fonts etc. It's positioning & layout using css is getting me down! :(

domedia
01-23-2008, 01:46 PM
You need to read some tutorials on this subject. It's not something you can learn yourself if you don't understand how positioning in CSS works. Anything can be a pain in the butt if you refuse to RTFM. Once you learn CSS and use web standards for your sites, this will become second nature and you will *never* go back.

dazzclub
01-26-2008, 12:12 AM
lol @RTFM, made me laugh...