PDA

View Full Version : e commerce & download to customer computer

greenleaf
01-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Yes i did go thru and read Dreamweaver General.
So it is said ? that (anyone) can create a web page with Adobe Dreamweaver C S 3. After i did purchase the book, Dreamweaver CS 3 [The missing Manual] O`Reilly, and examined it with a fine tooth comb. I then did a lot of research in Wikipedia in the programs and code that i saw in the front page of dreamweaver/ Coldfusion/ PHP/ VBScript and except Javascript.
in as short as words as i can muster, i would like to create a e commerce web site to offer for sale a jpg image. very simple in thought.
Question: can the average Joe or Marry Ann create a e commerce web site with Adobe Dreamweaver C S 3. And just what would the average Joe or Marry Ann that have zero Computer language education need to learn to create a e commerce web site using Adobe Dreamweaver C S 3. i am not the average twit, i have ben reading fervently since the first grade and have a strong intuition bordering on ESP. Please , just a simple answer, [what] in what is available in Adobe C S 3 would enable a person to create an e commerce web site.
And what available code/ language in Adobe C S 3 would enable the creation of code or script to communicate with the remote server that is doing the money transfer to communicate back to the e commerce web site a confirmation of payment made so that the e commerce web site could execute a jpg child file from a parent jpg file to download to the customer computer. I am not looking for you to give to me the line item code or program, what is the Name of the program/code.
thank you.

davidj
01-02-2008, 06:40 AM
anyone can can create an ecommerce solution given the right guidance.

before you start you need a good understanding of the following...

HTML
CSS
JavascriptThis is the basic foundation skill set of a web developer

when you can read the code of the above and understand it then you can move onto a server side language like PHP, ASP or .Net (there are others)

YOU CANT DO THIS USING DREAMWEAVER ALONE. YOU HAVE TO USE YOUR BRAIN AS WELL

i have ranted on before about this but please listen to me when i say you must learn to code. If your wanting to dive into ecommerce then you have to understand how it works and the code used to develop it especially when your dealing in monetary transactions.

The other option you have is to buy a shop in a box. Software which has been developed to do the job and i can suggest Actinic

http://www.actinic.co.uk/index.shtml

once installed on the server it acts as an IDE (like Dreamweaver) You use it to build your shop, stock it, then it serves as a shop front and back end where your stock is monitored, Invoices printed, delivery notes produced and tax calculated. All from one place

This option costs but i reckon if your wanting to start a business with a professional drive then you need an outlay which you will recoup.

edbr
01-02-2008, 07:03 AM
This option costs but i reckon if your wanting to start a business with a professional drive then you need an outlay which you will recoup.
there are some open source shops

domedia
01-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Question: can the average Joe or Marry Ann create a e commerce web site with Adobe Dreamweaver C S 3. Reading your whole post, I would say no. You need some training and experience first. If you don't even know or have experience with the medium (the web) it could take quite a long time.

greenleaf
01-04-2008, 04:52 AM
Thank you every one, i have ben playing with the web for some time and at this time am thinking of diving into Perl for i understand that CGI was born with Perl and that Amazon.com is built with Perl. Java as told is a bit tough. My quest here is to sale a jpg image and to have that download to the customer computer from a parent file after the purchase confirmation. a swimming in code i will go. I own two Macs, if that say`s anything.
thank you again.

davidj
01-04-2008, 05:53 AM
i would sugest PHP as its what works well with this project

domedia
01-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Check out Magento as well. www.magentocommerce.com/