PDA

View Full Version : To all Mac Users

neonfluxx
12-30-2007, 05:06 PM
I have received lots of Pm's about issues with MAMP I have researched for several days to create some of these errors and have come to the conclusion as follows:

MAMP on leopard seems to freak out for no reason now and then for no apparent reason. Also the MySQL Server in MAMP also tends to have some issues after it's been installed for a while. I have no creditable reason for this as MAMP does not automatically update so thats out the window. I have decided to dump MAMP all together and for the record XXAMP isn't much better.

So what is the solution you ask? Well it's what wel all have come to love about MAC. (Stability & Excellence) Mac comes with PHP5 and Apache2 already installed on it. It just needs to be activated. For all intensive purposes Mac is Linux and what is better than Linux for web serving? Nothing thats what. So what I have done is created a tutorial on setting up
PHP5 / Apache2 / MySQL / PHPMyAdmin 2.11.3 on your Mac OS X leopard.

Now I cannot take all the credit for this. David Powers has a excellent tutorial on setting up PHP5 and Apache2 on Mac, so I just tweaked that portion of the tutorial. But I couldn't find any on setting up MySQL and PHPMyAdmin on the Mac so i did those my self. I hope you find them useful.

I will forward them to Domedia for placing in the tutorials section. If he wants to. This is the way to develop locally on a Mac with no issues.

I hope this helps with all the questions. If your not a full time developer then MAMP is great. IF you are Full time, set up the server this way and you will love your life.

The MAMP solution is good for those part time uses and Dreamweaver recordset freaks. Since I have gone to hand coding I found this to be the best solution.

Happy Holidays to all.

davidj
12-30-2007, 07:17 PM
think this needs to be sticky

on the PHP forum

neonfluxx
12-30-2007, 07:33 PM
I agree DJ, Dom can you help with that?

domedia
12-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Yes I can absolutely.
But let me know if it would be better to actually post this information on the current tutorial page, with a link to the new tutorial. This would cover 100% of the people using the tutorial, instead of the 10% that might read a sticky thread.

I think the new tutorial would be beneficial for publishing absolutely, you know how to get a hold of me.

davidj
12-30-2007, 08:38 PM
its like tickling his man vegtables when you mention tutorials

neonfluxx
12-30-2007, 08:50 PM
WWWWWHHHHHHOOOOOAAAAAA DJ, lol

Way to much information. lololololol

domedia
12-30-2007, 08:59 PM
hehehe :D :)