PDA

View Full Version : Rollover and Active color problem with links

Kenny
12-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi! I'm so glad I found this forum.
I'd like to ask a question regarding a problem that's been driving me nuts:

The color settings I made for Rollover Links and Active Links, and the Show underline only on rollover setting I made for the links in my site's footer navigation bar work perfectly.
That is, they work perfectly only after you click the links, leave the page, and then come back to them a second time. Now all their color settings display; the hover color, rollover etc. Otherwise the first time they just remain the color set for Link Color in Page properties.

Why must all the links be used a second time before their additional color settings display?

Thanks

d a v e
12-16-2007, 09:40 AM
show us a url and we'll be happy to help. without that how can we? :)

Kenny
12-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Thank you! here's the site:

http://www.billyjoeconor.com

d a v e
12-16-2007, 10:52 AM
removed the span class style55 from those links to begin with and then see what you have

wasovs4
12-16-2007, 11:06 AM
daves said what i would have

Kenny
12-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks for your replies, but, after removing span class style55 from CSS of all the pages, it made a mess of areas that had nothing to do with the links.
On one page only it changed the color of the dividers between the links. I quickly re-uploaded the original pages.

BTW I just noticed that if I visit all the pages with the navigation bar on top of the page, it also seems to activate the hover colors of the footer navigation bar.

Kenny
12-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Sorry...I made the site in Dreamweaver design view, not knowing code.

I just realized what you actually asked that I do, so I just gave it another go at removing span class style55 from in between the links, but it still made no difference.

Edit: I also tried removing span style 10 before the links, and still makes no difference.

If it would help, and if you wouldn't mind taking a look at an actual page, may I email it to you?

d a v e
12-16-2007, 12:03 PM
just upload it to the server as test.html or similar and post a link to it ;)

Kenny
12-16-2007, 12:14 PM
OK. This one has span55 and others removed.
I put back style 10 as it only affects the font size, and when I did remove it, it made no difference anyway.

http://www.billyjoeconor.com/test.php

Thanks

I'll check back with you after getting some sleep; I was up all night looking for a solution.

d a v e
12-16-2007, 03:47 PM
stylw 10 affects the colour as well

Kenny
12-16-2007, 10:44 PM
I removed all styles from within and near the links, and re-uploaded the page, but still the problem persists. What else could be affecting those links?

The color settings:
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/7576/screenshotha9.jpg

domedia
12-17-2007, 06:38 AM
link, visited, hover, active <= should be in this order

Kenny
12-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Thanks, but that's exactly the order they've been in.

Here's the link to my test page again if you can find where the problem might be:

http://www.billyjoeconor.com/test.php

Thanks

Kenny
12-17-2007, 09:30 AM
link, visited, hover, active <= should be in this order

That is, I thought they were in the proper order, but when I checked carefully, I saw they were not.
Thank you very much for spotting the problem.

Would you please tell me if you think I did something which caused Dreamweaver to write them in the wrong order, or is it a problem with Dreamweaver?

Thanks again for solving the problem.

domedia
12-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Dreamweaver is only a tool, and it's not against the CSS protocol to put them in any order you want. So I guess it's up to use to make sure we get the behavior we want ;)

Kenny
12-17-2007, 01:04 PM
I ask because I didn't write them that way, Dreamweaver did:
I simply made the link settings in Page properties, then I wrote the text for the footer navigation bar, and finally, I linked the words corresponsing to the various pages. I made the site entirely in Design View, without any intention to write any code one way or the other. That is why I question why Dreamweaver wrote them in the wrong order?

domedia
12-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Like I said there is nothing in the CSS protocol saying they have to be in a certain order. DW will always group them together, so I think there's a good chance someone edited the stylesheet by hand.

Kenny
12-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Like I said, strictly "Design View."

domedia
12-17-2007, 05:54 PM
If you have not edited the styles manually, I have no idea how they got so far apart from each other.

Kenny
12-17-2007, 08:25 PM
In any case, thanks to you if it should happen again I know where to look; still I'll remain curious as to what I may have done to cause the scramble.