PDA

View Full Version : Donít understand what DW is doing.

ronc
12-14-2007, 04:09 PM
I am trying to work out using CSS with DIV tags and when I put a layer in using the menu item ďLayerĒ it puts the code in the insertion pointÖ

<div id="Layer17" >

but it also puts code in the headerÖ

#Layer14 {
position:absolute;
width:200px;
height:115px;
z-index:2;
left: 704px;
top: 31px;
}

domedia
12-14-2007, 05:22 PM
<div id="">
This is the HTML. It's a markup language that will put tags around your data.

#Layer14 {}
This is CSS. CSS is used to style your data. In this case #Layer14 corresponds directly with the ID of your div and is used to style that container. Once you start reading and learning about HTML and CSS, this actually becomes quite fascinating and interesting, and you'll know how to fix problems in Dreamweaver much faster :) If you don't want to learn these languages, then don't bother about what DW is doing, and let it just do it ;)

Jittor
12-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Also, the way you are adding CSS in Dreamweaver places it internal or inline (within the header and page) and not on a style sheet. Which is ok, but not the best way, because it only styles that page.

Listen to Dom, do some studying on CSS and you'll soon love it.

ronc
12-14-2007, 06:32 PM
OK I think this is where my confusion is stemming from. I am using or trying to use an external CSS file and I think where Iím getting confused on the information I am able to dig up is a result of the different ways to use CSS, either within the document of as a separate file. I prefer a separate file but reading through various tutorials itís not always clear which the author is doing. And then of course DW does its own thing

So from what youíre telling me, the sections hereÖ

#Layer14 {
position:absolute;
width:200px;
height:115px;
z-index:2;
left: 704px;
top: 31px;
}

Can be deleted from the document and placed instead in the external file and just put something like this in the headerÖ

<link href="P1.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

And then change this to call the external fileÖ

<div id="Layer11"> #### </div>

BTW the quick response here is very encouraging. Thank you very much. I had visions of having to post this on a dozen different boards looking for help.

domedia
12-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Yes you keep the HTML the same, and move the style to your CSS file and just make sure there's a link in the header part of your website to your CSS file :)

ronc
12-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Cool, thank you. Iíll probably be back with more questions. I have been in computers since eairly 2000, mostly systems and network admin but have always likes coding just never seem to be able to devote the time I need to learning it properly. I am currently working at trying to learn C# and ASP but there again itís a time thing. I had been working with web pages, Dreamweaver, HTML about 3 years ago but really only learned enough to get by, spent a good bit of time with Flash and Actionscript but now Macromedia has moved the entire product line considerably past where I was. Now I find myself chasing work where ever I can get it and having to relearn a lot of stuff that I havenít dealt with in several years.

Thanks again for you help.