PDA

View Full Version : Two pesky things with 'Synchronize'

Jeff G.
12-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Greetings, all -

Although I'll eventually use Dreamweaver as my main web editor, at the moment I'm primarily using it as a site-updater. And an extremely good one it is, I might add, far better than PageMill or GoLive.

There are two things about the 'Synchronize' feature that are a little pesky:

1. One thing that PageMaul, GoLivid and DW have in common is that now and then they completely blow it and want to upload some file that hasn't been touched in a year. Last night, DW suddenly got it into its head that half of my nav bar buttons needed to be uploaded. I closed down the program, fired it back up, re-scanned the site, and there they were again. It also has a real penchant for my nav bar page, wanting to upload it every 3rd or 4th scan. Any insight to this would be appreciated.

2. Is there any way to stop DW from making those daffy "_notes" folders in every folder it uploads from? I looked through the Options and didn't see anything obvious. I whipped up a workaround (running DW from a batch file and using TDel afterward to delete any "_notes" folders), but I'd rather just turn it off via Options or whatever.

T'anks,
Jeff G.

gmcrone
12-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Can't answer you about synchronize, never used it...

But regarding notes..
Under Site Manager, open a site, options are there to turn on/off notes on a site by site basis.

Mike...

lux
12-09-2007, 08:42 AM
probably not best to rely on Dreamweaver for uploading/downloading files from a web server.

I use smartftp to transfer files. I think you should have a look at using this program instead: http://www.smartftp.com/

Jeff G.
12-10-2007, 09:09 PM
gmcrone: Thanks much! I had combed through the main options a number of times, but hadn't thought to look at the site's individual options.

lux8uk: Thanks, but with over 3,000 files on my site, I need something that'll detect orphan files, bad links, etc. If DW occasionally uploads a file that doesn't need uploading, it's just a little pesky. The important thing is that it's never missed a file.

Jeff

Jeff G.
12-11-2007, 03:08 AM
gmcrone: Just for the record, unfortunately, unchecking the 'Design Notes' box doesn't stop it from making the "_notes" folders. Sure looks like it would, dang it.

No biggie, though. My batch file was working fine. If anyone's editing their files locally and wants to get rid of the pesky things, I used a DOS 'Delete' program called TDel in a BAT file, like so:

C:
CD "dreamweaver 8"
dreamweaver.exe
F:
CD <website>
TDel _notes /S /Y

When DW closes down, the script continues and TDel wipes out all of the "_notes" folders.

Jeff