PDA

View Full Version : website size

dazzclub
12-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Hi guys,

Quick question, when i start building a site in photoshop, i start the canvas size at 800 x 600 pixels.

what are your preferences, if any?

cheers
Darren

domedia
12-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Check your user audience, it's the only thing that matters. I think we've had this up for discussions before, maybe a search will give some results. In my world I still have to cater to 800*600, still around 8-9% people using them on the larger websites I maintain, it's my 'lowest common denominator', so to say. This means I start with a canvas around 760px wide to compensate for browser chrome and scrollbar.

dazzclub
12-07-2007, 01:08 PM
thanks for your answer domedia, apologies for not searching before posting this topic.

currently my clients are those 8 to 9%, as the majority of the monitors they have are on display settings 800 x 600 i believe, huge icons

:)

domedia
12-07-2007, 01:13 PM
The thing I face with some client is that they think they have to choose the 92% that are using larger than 800*600. makes sense if you think like that.

However, by using 800*600 you are catering to pretty much 100% of your audience, everytone can see your content easily, while using 1024 width on your website, now you're only catering to 92% of your visitors.
The key question is; which choice make more sense business wise for the company? It's like suggesting you should filter your customers to your brick and mortar store based on what make of car they are entering your parking lot with ;-)
"All customers welcome, except those that drive here with a Honda" :-) Now *that* makes sense, right?
I feel the same way about monitor resolutions.

dazzclub
12-07-2007, 03:29 PM
I totally agree with you on that, by far, going for the majority makes solid business sense.

One problem i did have one, was when i created a site, that the client had seen the site on a larger monitor and was surprised to see it swampped in space.

The site i am refereing to is http://www.drinkpromo.com

Now the client would like it to fit / stretch to the browsers size.

How woud you deal with this situation, in regards to having to go back on yourself, what would you have done differently

domedia
12-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Nothing really :) I don't consider it a problem. You and your client is actually the only ones that you're 100% sure is not in the target audience for the website ;-)

One option is to make the suite fluid/liquid, which means the width changes relative with the width of the viewport. Much like this site does.

CosmoGirl123
12-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Hi

I just created a 955 px wide website (my first)...with thoughts that my audience will be creatives with larger monitors, however what do I do to get it to fit all monitors...fit to screen width? I saw that gmcrone have a way to do it on another posting..he had html and css coding. I am really new at this, but where do I put this coding? Do I need to add both html and css or just one of them? Do I open up the index.html with both html and visual views and then just add the html at the beginning? I have no idea what to do with the css.

I am looking for a job in print graphics, so this is very important to me. I have a deadline to apply for the job of my dreams that is TODAY! but the website is having the problem (that many are having, I think) it does not fill the monitor, on some monitors.

I would appreciate any help very very much!

Annette

www.annettegerard.com

domedia
12-11-2007, 01:26 PM
You have to learn how to make webpages basically :-/ and it's going to take more than one day to learn.
Why is a website so important for you to get a job in the print business?

CosmoGirl123
12-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Hi again

Having a website allows me to show more businesses what I do without having to send them huge files or many files or having to visit them and show them my portfolio. Actually I have 4 portfolios. Marketing, Design, Photo and Illustration. Today, it will also save me 3-4 hours of driving in ice rain.

-Do I just put the html coding from http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-center-content.pho from Mike Crone (gmcrone)into the beginning of my html coding in my index page?
-What about the css coding..where does that go?
-Do I have to put both html and css coding in?

I would really really appreciate any help!

Got to start somewhere...on this wild web train ride. haha.:wink:

A

domedia
12-11-2007, 04:08 PM
-Do I just put the html coding from http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-center-content.pho from Mike Crone (gmcrone)into the beginning of my html coding in my index page?
-What about the css coding..where does that go?
-Do I have to put both html and css coding in?

1. The code has to be incorporated into your existing design. It's not a cut and paste job. Anyone up for this?
2. CSS usually goes in a separate stylesheet
3. Yes both both needs to be in there