PDA

View Full Version : empty fields in forms

climberman
12-06-2007, 10:15 PM
I want my read only page to leave out data that is not needed if a question is not answered in the insert page. So on the detail page what shows up is the word Description and then what the answer was on the insert page. But if there is no answer there is no need for the word (Description) to show up and then the other questions can just move up.

Thanks

davidj
12-07-2007, 05:53 AM
you need to learn the language your coding in.

what you need is to check if the field for contents before redirecting

what language are you coding in.... sorry....what dreamweaver is using?

climberman
12-07-2007, 01:14 PM
My site is in asp but shouldn't dreamweaver do all of that for me. Don't you just make a new record set for the fields in question and us advanced?

domedia
12-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Should be easy, but you need to know how DW handles ASP.
The logic:
If field is empty, output nothing.
Else, output 'Description'

If you can't take the above and use Dreamweaver to figure it out, you need to back to where the help files talk about ASP.

davidj
12-07-2007, 01:23 PM
My site is in asp but shouldn't dreamweaver do all of that for me.

Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly,
A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
Cellophane flowers of yellow and green,
Towering over your head.
Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes,
And she's gone.
Lucy in the sky with diamonds.
Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain
Where rocking horse people eat marshmellow pies,
Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers,
That grow so incredibly high.
Newspaper taxis appear on the shore,
Waiting to take you away.
Climb in the back with your head in the clouds,
And you're gone.
Lucy in the sky with diamonds,
Picture yourself on a train in a station,
With plasticine porters with looking glass ties,
Suddenly someone is there at the turnstyle,
The girl with the kaleidoscope eyes.

Nope.... It doesnt

climberman
12-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the help I am trying to do something that is over my head right now. I pictured myself in a boat on a river and decided I rather be there. Time sure has gone by.

Thanks man

davidj
12-07-2007, 03:07 PM
hi climberman

i have said this allot on this forum but when you rely on Dreamweaver Coding tools you soon realise it cant do everything you require. This is where you come to this forum asking for help.

So how can we help you...

i can explain using pseudo code how to do this just like domedia did in his post. Explaining each part of it in a logical way but this method assumes you have some coding experience and your competent with the language.
I could do this for you so you could just simply cut and paste it into your page and away you go full steam ahead until you hit another ice burg and come back in a weeks time with cap in hand asking for someone else to provide you with more code, and keep coming back again and again until your project is finished.
you could put your project on the back burner for now and spend some time learning the language your coding in.---------------------------

Note: if you prefer option 2 then any code that is written and pasted into the page is likely to cause Dreamweaver coding tools to stop operating. Dreamweaver requires code written in a certain way in order for it to track code blocks and if you mess with this then you going to be hand coding until you finish it. This means if someone is kind enough to fix your problem then he/she is going to unearth a nightmare for someone who doesn't code by hand.

These are your options really.

If you have just started learning and have only used the tools to create code then all is not lost.

Give PHP a try and follow the video tutorials i have made ...

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm/php-mysql-apache.php

you will be coding in no time and will be amazed what is possible.

domedia
12-07-2007, 03:23 PM
There's an option #4: learn how to use Dreamweaver with it's built in ASP support. It's cannot compare with the flexibility of knowing how to do it yourself, but for your current challenge, it can do it.

davidj
12-07-2007, 03:28 PM
your not supposed to encourage this behaviour

OK

if you choose option 4 then I'm afraid i have to opt out as i cant offer support for this.

domedia
12-07-2007, 05:26 PM
if you choose option 4 then I'm afraid i have to opt out as i cant offer support for this. Me neither :)