PDA

View Full Version : Novice Question

reevo6825
12-02-2007, 11:13 PM
I created a very basic site with a menu bar in a frame on the left side of the page and the area where I want all the pages to open on the right. The problem is the pages open in a separate window and when I use a link to return to the homepage I now end up with two homepages open. How do I resolve that. (I will not be offended if your response is VERY basic!)

Cary
12-03-2007, 12:33 AM
I would suggest not using frames because they aren't search engine friendly and people can't bookmark the pages they like, among other reasons.

Ricky55
12-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Cary is right frames are best avoided really but I'm sure this is not want you want to hear having spent time working on your website.

To get the pages to open in the frames you need to target them. To do this your frames must be given names.

If you go to the window pull down menu in dreamweaver and select frames you should be able to see your frame, select it and name it something meaningful like mainWindow or something.

Once you have it named you need target the frame. Click on your linked item in your menu, now down in the properties bar below the link box is a traget drop down menu, simply select the frame name that you want the links to open in.

Hope this helps you.