PDA

View Full Version : Need a Dreamweaver 8 friendly host

4corners
12-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Im trying to find web hosting thats dreamweaver 8 friendly,Ive been using yahoo hosting but I been having a lot of problems connecting.And I read somewhere else that yahoo wasnt dreamweaver friendly.So could someone give me a coulple of sites I can get some good hosting from?Please

davidj
12-02-2007, 07:31 PM
ok first

never connect dreamweaver to your live space. This is very bad practice

use your local machine to develop and test then once your happy it works and you have performed a unit test then close Dreamweaver down and use an FTP client to do the transfer to your live machine

dont know where you read this shite on Yahoo being DW unfriendly but who ever penned that ditty is an arse. {forgive the language}

dreamweaver is host independant. there is nothing connecting DW to the host regarding friendlyness

4corners
12-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks,I used filezilla for a ftp,so I will never connect my dreamweaver to the server,just use a ftp to transfer.Now I just got a index on my webpage,I can view my page when I click on the link but how to I fix it to where when I go to my page I see my mainpage I designed instead of a index with a link to my mainpageok first

never connect dreamweaver to your live space. This is very bad practice

use your local machine to develop and test then once your happy it works and you have performed a unit test then close Dreamweaver down and use an FTP client to do the transfer to your live machine

dont know where you read this shite on Yahoo being DW unfriendly but who ever penned that ditty is an arse. {forgive the language}

dreamweaver is host independant. there is nothing connecting DW to the host regarding friendlyness

m1a2x3x7
12-03-2007, 02:09 PM
I find it really easy to connect DW to my host. Never once had a problem. I also dont see how its bad practice but hey to each their own.

d a v e
12-03-2007, 02:16 PM
"never connect dreamweaver to your live space" i've never heard this before! why is it bad practice?

davidj
12-03-2007, 02:21 PM
you have a development test environment where you build your site /app

this should be far removed from any live environment which is the natural order of professionalism. Dreamweaver is a production tool which you use to build the system.

Using an editing tool to make a site live is madness. Don't you have any quality control or unit testing plan? Don't you have to have changes signed off and accepted by your clients before you publish them and make them live?

Maybe it me and this fussy Prince project management philosophy which we work to.

lux
12-03-2007, 03:14 PM
4corners you can delete the existing index page that was present on the web server before you uploaded your web pages.

then rename your home page to index.php, thats the easiest method anyways

davidj
12-03-2007, 03:15 PM
cant go wrong with a flow chart

d a v e
12-03-2007, 04:42 PM
ah davidj, i thought you meant not to publish using DW per se, or not to publish into a 'live' test area ( one only you and client can see) ... ;)

neonfluxx
12-04-2007, 05:04 AM
Listen to DJ on this one guys he is right.

d a v e
12-04-2007, 07:57 AM
"Listen to DJ on this one guys he is right."

yeah, we were listening - but it was ambiguous...