PDA

View Full Version : Printer Friendly Web Pages

Jules1777
11-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Hi
I have designed a website www.mentalhealthstrategies.co.uk and most of my site is screen friendly. How can I get it to become 'print-friendly'?

Ideally all I need when print is selected is all the text in the scroll boxes to be printed, even when not visible on screen. A page on the site to show give you a clue what I mean is http://www.mentalhealthstrategies.co.uk/MHTrusts/News/MarketAssessment.html

Can anyone help as to how I do this? Hope I have explained myself properly.
:confused:

Regards
Julie

domedia
11-26-2007, 02:06 PM
On a normal web standard site you could just add a print stylesheet, and redefine all your boxes to fit within the printed page. It seems like you've done this, which means you're in luck.

Link to your print stylesheet like this:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print" href="print.css">

This stylesheet will be applied automatically by the browsers when you print your document. You can 'preview' this by going to 'print preview' in your browser.

just like with your normal stylesheet, you edit the print.css to fit your needs. I often find that I set a lot of elements to display: none, like the nav column etc to save space.

Jules1777
11-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks will let you know how I get on!! Jules

Jules1777
11-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks so much domedia.....has worked a treat!!! Jules1777

domedia
11-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Glad it worked :)
This is a huge time saver from the old times when we had to make separate print friendly pages of all the pages on a website.