PDA

View Full Version : Cross Browser Compatibility Advice

tux
11-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi all,

I have built a site for my brother and need some help with cross browser compatibility. The site works fine in IE but the links on the nav bar dont work in FF and Netscape. The links are rollover images which I suspect might be the problem. This is the site URL.....

http://www.photographybydantucker.com/

Could anyone give any advice on this and maybe point me to some good resources on the subject.

Thanks regards,

Paul

domedia
11-21-2007, 01:15 PM
You have a div#Right which overlays the whole website.

If you want to solve cross browser compatibility, I think you need to rethink how you did this website. It's overly complicated right now, and I don't think you'll be able to be happy with it until you simplify the code and have a look at some web standards techniques.

Validating your pages is also a good way to make sure at least your HTML structure is not broken anywhere.

tux
11-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks Domedia for replying. My bro' designed the look and also wanted it to stretch the screen depending on browser width. This is the only way I could figure to get all the blue lines to align.

Could you advise how I might get the same effect with simpler code as you suggest.

Thanks again, regards

Paul

domedia
11-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi tux,
I don't see why this website couldn't be done in the standard way. CSS is so much more flexible than using HTML for layout. It's a craft you need to learn like anything else, so I would start to tinker around with it now and then maybe choose your next project to be a CSS layout one.

tux
11-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Ok, just so much to learn. This was a quick fix for my bro'. I'm currently trying to get to grips with PHP so I will do the same now with CSS. Thanks for the advice.

Getting back to the cross browser thing, can you recommend some good resources for this.

Regards, Paul

domedia
11-22-2007, 02:23 PM
I'd start with the CSS templates and CSS info already in DW and google from there :)

tux
11-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Cheers Domedia, I'll give it a go.

Thanks for your advice. Regards,

Paul