PDA

View Full Version : Vertical spacing out of wack in IE, but perfect in Safari?

Feelinggood
11-20-2007, 05:42 PM
I have another newbie question about vertical spacing in the frame based design of the site I am working on. www.brainoptimization.com (http://www.brainoptimization.com/)

When I view my site in IE or Safari for Windows it looks just the way it is supposed to.

But when viewed in Internet Explorer for windows the vertical spacing in the left column (as well as the spacing between the first 5 paragraps in the right column) is completely out of whack! IE for win puts huge chucks of space between the cells where none was put. Any idea what is going on and how I can correct this issue? I am using Dreamweaver 8 on a mac. Thanks again.

Cheers.

domedia
11-20-2007, 06:07 PM
I actually get the complete opposite:
-huge space in FF
-no space in IE

This most likely due to something in your table layout. You have a zillion table cells on the page.

Any table wizards up for some troubleshooting?

Feelinggood
11-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Argh! lol, I actually was talking about SAFARI for windows Dom, not Firefox, but now that you mentioned it I checked it in FF for windows and the problem is actually different from what I get in IE. In FF, the extra space is before and after the large graphic we have in the left column but not in between the all the links like when seen in IE!... But since our ststs show 90% of our visitors are IE for win, I think I'll focus on that issue first. Thanks for trying though. :)

d a v e
11-20-2007, 07:08 PM
woah that text is hard to read!

all the text on the right hand side in times, ALL in Italic. you should reserve italic for SPECIAL uses like short quotes, emphasis, Latin words, etc.

try using a more screen friendly plain arial or verdana instead

use <td valign="top"> for all of those table cells where you don't want things ending up in the middle. that's a heck of a lot of table cells! :)

Feelinggood
11-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the feedback, I think...

Here is the thing. The whole site was designed on a mac with the Futura font, a non serif font (listed in the default font list in DW8 btw) that is very easy to read, and that appears perfectly in ALL available mac browsers.

In IE for windows, on the other hand, this font defaults to what looks like Arial, and then in FF it defaults to Time, which I agree sucks big time, especially in italics. Now why the heck is that? Why isn't the font used to design the site used by the browsers on windows as it is in all the mac browsers? Isn't it also an issue of what browser preferences are set up by the users?

I must admit that this new web responsibility of mine is starting to suck more by the minute now that I have to get more and more involved with the windows side of things... :(

d a v e
11-20-2007, 08:50 PM
:)
that's just not one of the fonts installed on windows as a default font (see http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html though i'm not sure why futura isn't listed as a default for mac;)

so what you need to do for us poor pc users is add a list of fonts so see something better than our default browser font (in IE e.g. Arial, in firefox e.g. times new roman)

wherever you have defined futura in your style sheet make sure you also have
some others e.g.

font-family: Futura, Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

that way the browser will look for the each font in the list on the OS starting from futura until it hits one installed on the user's system and if it finds none will use whatever the default sans-serif font is (usually arial or verdana)

(most/some) mac users will see futura, most/some pc users would then get verdana or geneva ... etc.

;)

domedia
11-21-2007, 12:54 PM
and like in dave's example, end the list of font faces with a generic font family, like serf or sans-serif, so that the browser at least generally knows what kind of font face to display when none of the fonts listed are available for the end user.