PDA

View Full Version : How do you set up Time Delays in DW

Gemsbok
11-16-2007, 09:38 AM
This is probably a simple problem with a simple solution but it really is bugging me how to do it.

I'm new to DW and i'm making a template for my site. It has nav bars, some button behaviours and hidden layers.

On each of my nav bar buttons i have MouseUP and MouseOver behaviours and they all link to another webpage when clicked.

I have also put a OnClick behaviour which shows a hidden layer which has a flash movie in it which plays automatically when the layer is displayed.

The movie is quite simply pawprints which walk across the screen (i've even used wmode-transparent parameter).

It looks good but what i'm after is that when you press a nav bar button i want the layer to open and the pawprints to walk across the page then the next webpage loads up.

This doesn't happen. You press the button and before the flash files starts its already linked to the next webpage.

Is there anyway of delaying the next webpage loading up just so the flash movie can play out. (i'm looking for a 4 second delay)

Remember i'm a beginner so please don't be too technical. I've looked at Set Timeout, OnUnload and i'm just confused.

Please Help Me...

davidj
11-16-2007, 10:01 AM
assign the page request to the footprints animation instead of the nav bar

you will have to pass the link in as a variable

you will need some coding knowledge to do this howver its not too difficult

Gemsbok
11-16-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't really have any coding knowledge, i know small bits of HTML.

How would i go about putting some relevant code into Flash.

Any help would be great

davidj
11-16-2007, 10:14 AM
some one will have to do this for you then.

any flash guys out there who can help with this...?

try asking in the job forum

domedia
11-16-2007, 11:31 AM
In flash, look in the action script panel for the Basic Function called getURL{}

Gemsbok
11-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the advice.

Where's a good site to goto to find out more about actionscripts.

They sound useful

domedia
11-16-2007, 12:04 PM
If you want to do flash, you have to use them. It's very similar to javascript, and the help files covers everything (and then some) on them.

Gemsbok
11-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Ok. I'm attempting to put the getURL(http://www.google) script
into my flash movie.

I actually thought it would be as simple as highlighting the layer and frame that i wanted the getURL command in and clicking add action and typing in the script but it doesn't forward onto google.co.uk at the end of the movie.

Do i have to be on my server for this to work. surely if i'm trying it in dreamweaver and i'm connected to the internet it would still link to google.co.uk?