PDA

View Full Version : starting to use PHP - HELP!

bencottrell
11-13-2007, 10:41 AM
hi there
this is my first venture into building a data driven site - previously all I've done is HTML.

So...I've installed MYSQL, PHPdev and apache server.

now I need to figure out how to use PHP and dreamweaver to query databases and deposit the data onto my pages.

can anybody recommend a good source of info for this?

would be much appreciated
cheers
Ben:)

domedia
11-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Welcome tot he forums Ben!
Spend some time browsing around, you'll find good resources like this one mentioned:
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/php-tutorials.php

Mark Duffy
11-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Hi
Is there is reason why the sql manager is version 2005 as this looks as though it is a new video.
I can not follow using the 2007 version.
Where can I get an old version (2007) to follow
or is there a more up to date course.

If I am learning I might as well learn the latest stuff even though there will be lots of common ground.

MD

davidj
11-19-2007, 07:39 AM
which SQL manager are you using?

the EMS version?

Mark Duffy
11-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Slightly long answer to your question.

I've now got the same one you used on the video now and am about to start your course. Assuming that is that I can get up early enough to get in a couple of hours each morning. So thanks in advance.

It is rare that we are so luck to find a course where the author is available to assist and comment. I am a luck man. But I will not take advantage of this nor vent.

Why do I want to learn PHP MySql.
I am the instigator or concept man or dreamer as you might say for what is going to be a large educational site. The site will be on Linux with php, Mysql and Ajax. Possibly other tools as the site develops. There are two programmers working on the specification and the code. Administration will be key to the sites success. Or should I say without excellent Administration the site will crash.

I need to understand how PHP and MySql work. We are also using Ajax which I see as a turbo charge.

I have laid out the site in Dreamweaver using HTML. This was to demonstrate the functionality to myself and others not how it was to look. The site is database drives and multi lingual with every piece of the screen database driven (includes the html)

Accordingly I am not looking to be a developer or even develop a family site though I may at some time.

davidj
11-19-2007, 12:22 PM
you will never look back

lux
11-19-2007, 12:31 PM
have a look at 37signals.com for tools to manage your project. you can be up and running with it in a couple of minutes.

never be worried about asking questions though because i know i've asked plenty on my way to getting where i am now, haha

Mark Duffy
11-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Thought I had the older version but it was SQL not Mysql and even though the text in sites says 2005 all the links go to the same location which is 2007. I will have to have a looksee to see if i can make the alterations. Unfortunately every screen is going to be different. I got the set up working using Neon Fluxx's video which uses PhpMyAdmin. THis is the one I have heard most about.