PDA

View Full Version : suggestions where to start

minpot
11-08-2007, 06:04 PM
hi
i would like to have some suggestions on what is the best way to start seriously learning more on webdesign. I have been doing this for a while but i find myself lost very very often and not knowing how to solve many problems.
I took a dreamweaver course online but there are so may things i still dont understand and therefrore cannot solve.
How should i start? css, html, dreamweaver 2 level? or . . . . . .
Thanks for any suggestions

I just want to learn the basics first to be able to move forward later :grin:

Jittor
11-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Well...everyone learns differently so keep that in mind.

I would get a basic understanding of HTML first. You can teach yourself by playing around in Dreamweaver and then going into the code view to see what was placed there (though DW sometimes adds crap code, but I think you'll be fine) There are also sites out there that will help you get started:

http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp (click "learn HTML" at the top left)

Keep playing around in DW though - that is really the only way to truly learn it. You can get some book and go through them to better learn DW. DWC has a bookstore that is linked with Amazon for their books. it's at: http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/books/ I just checked it though and there were no books, which I find odd??

- That is how I learned it (I seem to gather info from books and hands on pretty well, where others don't. )

Once you get better at HTML and DW move on to CSS. Then you won't feel so lost and have a better understanding of what your and the code is doing.

That's my thoughts others might feel differently thought

Ricky55
11-09-2007, 08:46 AM
everyone feels like this at some point, i know I did and sometimes still do. I did alot of Lynda.com courses these are excellent, total training also offer some good courses.

Lynda.com offer a really good course, CSS for designers, I learnt loads by doing this. The best form of learning though is doing, just create a mock site trying to use CSS techniques you've learnt.

These courses can be a bit expensive but they can be found on the net if you look.

Ricky55

d a v e
11-09-2007, 09:25 AM
this is supposed to be good too
http://www.htmldog.com/

minpot
11-09-2007, 01:32 PM
wow . . . . .. so many helpful tips !!!! I already started looking. I thouroughly did with Jittor's suggestions, I'm now looking into dave's suggestion and already i can feel some sort "beggining to understand" that starts to make more sense . . . . . .
Actually I took a linda.com dreamweaver course and that is what i know, but i 'm in need to continue further inside the html css and all that stuff .
thanks very much . . . . . . . if any other suggestions come, well WELCOME !
:)

davidj
11-09-2007, 02:08 PM
create some made-up projects and create a site for them from scratch. By doing this you hone your design and coding skills and create a portfolio at the same time.

this is how i learnt

domedia
11-09-2007, 03:24 PM
I found this book really helpful:
Web Standards Solutions: The Markup and Style Handbook (Pioneering Series) by Dan Cederholm

minpot
11-09-2007, 04:48 PM
you guys are the best !!!!!! thanks for all your suggestions . . . . . :"> i guess i wont be around the forum for a while . . .so much to study and learn. Oh well next time i will be showing all my learnings !!!!! i will look into that book, maybe amazon.com?

domedia
11-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Yes, and if you want to give the forum a kickback to help paying the bills you can get there from our books section :)
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/books/1590593812/Web_Standards_Solutions_The_Markup_and_Style_Handb ook_Pioneering_Series.html

Jittor
11-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Dom, there are tons of DW and Flash books on Amazon but when you go to DWC bookstore and click on Macromedia Books and then any of the Dreamweaver or Flash books nothing comes up. But under Fireworks all sorts of stuff, including dreamweaver books come up?

domedia
11-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks for letting me know Jittor.. not sure why it is happening, but will look into it asap!

As a quick fix, using the search function, with for example 'dreamweaver' will display all those books.

Jittor
11-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Good to know!