PDA

View Full Version : neg margin IE issue

dsnyder
11-08-2007, 12:03 AM
I having trouble with negative margins used on lines of text in IE. Could any one help?

I attempting to help 'fix' and email layout. Here is the relevant html:

<td valign="bottom" style="background-color: #000000; padding:10px;">
<p style="font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin-bottom:0px; color:#999966; font-size:2.0em; font-weight:bold; ">
The Phoenix Ensemble</p>
<p style="color:#CCCCCC; font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin-left:40px;margin-top:-10px; font-size:3.5em; font-style:italic; font-weight:bold; ">
news &amp; events</p>
<p style="font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; float:right; border-top:0px solid #cfcfcf; margin-top:-45px; margin-right:30px; display:inline; color:#fff; font-size:1.2em; font-weight:bold; ">
NOVEMBER 2007</p>
</td>the NOVEMBER 2007 overlaps THE PHEONIX ENSEMBLE in IE

http://cellocelli.com/verticalresponse.htm

The code in this page is a mess as they used a template which seems to have added a lot of unused html. I'm trying to clean things up as I re-design.

domedia
11-08-2007, 12:12 AM
If this is for email, why are you even checking it in browsers at all?
You need to check in hotmail, outlook, outlook express, thunderbird, gmail, yahoo mail etc. Where some of the webmail services are not reading CSS at all if I remember right.

dsnyder
11-08-2007, 12:23 AM
If this is for email, why are you even checking it in browsers at all?

Yes, good question. I was working in DW instead of the online program (http://www.verticalresponse.com/) - used by the person who began this design - and was using the browsers to check things. I assumed that this was a good way to check for issues before sending out as an email to check with various email services. Is there a better or preferred method for designing emails? (There is a plain text version that is viewable as well)

domedia
11-08-2007, 12:37 AM
I assumed that this was a good way to check for issues before sending out as an email to check with various email services. Is there a better or preferred method for designing emails? (There is a plain text version that is viewable as well)
Forget about browsers when doing email. Checking in them is futile, you're making html pages that are never going to be read by web browsers. Check in all the email clients you think your visitors will use.
I normally check in the list I gave you above. You can send out as many test email as you want with VerticalResponse, and that is how you check. The email is for email clients, so you need to check your email in email clients, basically :)

dsnyder
11-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Thanks.
How do/would you design an email for verticalResponse? In DW then paste in the code? Of course I had to change all of the photo links. It was a pain to find the location of the images in the VerticalResponse HTML layout. Is there a better way?

thanks for the advice & knowledge!

domedia
11-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Make the code in your favorite editor. Make sure you do it old school with tables and font tags. Then paste it into Verticalresponse and test it with your list of email addresses that you've set up for testing. All your images need to link to the server, there's no reason to change anything in the img tag. This toic has been up before, try doing a quick search and see if the forum can come up with something as well