PDA

View Full Version : First site.. comments/criticism?

-fedexer-
11-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Hey members of DC,

I have created my first site and was wondering what you all here thought of it? or if you have any suggestions that could make it alot better or better for the user viewing it.

All criticism/ comments accepted :-D

www.alvaacademy.co.uk/parentforum (http://www.alvaacademy.co.uk/parentforum)

domedia
11-06-2007, 07:41 PM
hey fedex, nice site. Here's my initial feedback using FF2, all meant constructively :)

Nice use of blue, but somehow the blue background tile colors does not fit well with the blue colors on the right of the website

Nice layout. 3 column classic.

'Welcome to the Official Parent Forum Website' <- this is right aligned, which looks weird. Do you need this bit of text at all? Seems redundant.

Use some padding on your left hand links so they're not hugging the border.

Some of the pages has a lot of empty space on the bottom of the website, not sure why this is needed.

Flyout menu: change the link color to a dark color, instead of white. Doesn't work well on light blue background color.

Pages load very fast. This is a huge difference from table based websites.

2 empty nav items> Looks weird with the arrows without a link there on bottom of the left hand nav.

d a v e
11-06-2007, 09:03 PM
agree with dom about the bg tile

the links in your nav bar (on the left) don't show up for me as links (no hand cursor) in firefox on windows, and the flyout menus take a long time - several seconds before coming out, and then stay out when i move away from the menu

try using arial or verdana as as your main font instead of the default times new roman

-fedexer-
11-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, ill make a start on the changes, and would you say loading was fine as it was? as the browser does need to load a large bg file.

Nice use of blue, but somehow the blue background tile colors does not fit well with the blue colors on the right of the website
A darker blue would be better? or a lighter tone , making it almost white but not quite?

'Welcome to the Official Parent Forum Website' <- this is right aligned, which looks weird. Do you need this bit of text at all? Seems redundant.
Agreed, i reckon i shall remove that, it did scroll before... but the guy im designing for didnt like it.. (distracted him to much :S)

Use some padding on your left hand links so they're not hugging the border.

Might be a problem... it would involve the bg image needing to be changed... (i might split the bg into 4 sections and then that way each can be independant, (thoughts?))

Some of the pages has a lot of empty space on the bottom of the website, not sure why this is needed.
My site uses a default bg, so the white space is what's left of the bg, i could possibly shrink it on those pages?

Flyout menu: change the link color to a dark color, instead of white. Doesn't work well on light blue background color.
Noted.

Pages load very fast. This is a huge difference from table based websites.
I was suprised to hear that, as started earlier due to size of bg image.

2 empty nav items> Looks weird with the arrows without a link there on bottom of the left hand nav
Hadn't noticed them... i must have left them in my last edit, thanks for pointing it out, i over looked that.

try using arial or verdana as as your main font instead of the default times new roman

I shall give it a try , see how it looks ;)

the links in your nav bar (on the left) don't show up for me as links (no hand cursor) in firefox on windows, and the flyout menus take a long time - several seconds before coming out, and then stay out when i move away from the menu

This is a strange problem.. i havent experienced it yet... emm im not sure how that could be fixed.

Jittor
11-06-2007, 09:41 PM
The load time for me was pretty slow. I agree with Dom and Dave and I had the same problems with the left nav. it only went away when I moved the mouse up on the nav. - (FF on a MAC). Also, on the nav. the "Getting involved" link, the "involved" was cut off.

As for the blue - for me there was to many blues. The background as stated before, but the sides and the spaces in the nav. are a different blue than any of the blues in the top header. Then you have a bright blue around the top images. I would try a white border here instead.

Your title "The Alva Academy Parent Forum" is not centered. I am assuming it is because you did not want to cover up that cool element in your header. I would suggest flipping your header graphic so that cool element is on the right and you can have your title closer to the left. We read from left to right so that would look better, and the cool part of your graphic will not be covered up by text.

Also, you might want to consider left aligning the text in your body. It makes it look more professional.

domedia
11-06-2007, 09:47 PM
about the space on the bottom: If it is a background image it will not require any space at all, only content does. Have not had time to look why it's forcing height, but the background image alone will not force that.

The problem with the tile on the website bg, and the blue colors in the main part of the website are shades and hue of blue, they don't go well together. I'm not a graphic designer so I can't relly tell you how to fix that. Look into color theory if you need info :)

Nav links: just noticed you are using images instead of text. It would be a good idea to use actual text with anchor tags around them. Then you can use padding around your A tags.