PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials that stop and refuse to go further

deveray
10-31-2007, 04:10 PM
Could be just something on my end.

But the phenomenon has occurred twice now, and repeatedly in those instances.

PHP, A Beginner's Guide.

Part 7 - (Quits at 6:58)
Part 9 - inserting (Quits at 6:11)

Both of them load more of the video, yet refuse to play anything beyond those points.

davidj
10-31-2007, 09:18 PM
its happened to me and others before

i think its a corruption in the stream which does not resolve on its own

try clearing your cache and deleting your history then try again

deveray
11-01-2007, 03:23 AM
its happened to me and others before

i think its a corruption in the stream which does not resolve on its own

try clearing your cache and deleting your history then try again

Thanks for the reply. While deleting my browsing history and cache may work, doing so would also terminate many useful pointers when trying to find places already visited.

So, I hope there might be resolution that leaves my months of collected visits intact. Otherwise, I will need to make myself content with the videos that do work. Fortunately, they are terrific, so worth hopping over a couple glitches to get the instruction.

edbr
11-01-2007, 06:27 AM
different browser?

davidj
11-01-2007, 10:10 AM
it would be better and easier to remember sites you have visited by saving them to your favourites

davidj
11-01-2007, 11:09 AM
my mistake...

you can keep your history as this is not really the issue its just me dotting the I's.

clear your cache though and then this should sort it out.

domedia
11-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Most developers I know have their browsers set in 'developer mode'; ie their cache is turned off so they always see changes on the websites they are working on without having to clear cache or force reload ctrl+f5

deveray
11-07-2007, 03:50 AM
it would be better and easier to remember sites you have visited by saving them to your favourites

Yah, I love favorites. Actually, I have well over a thousand favorites in probably a couple hundred folders. But having the extra tool of just being able to type in the first couple letters is a nice alternative to foraging through the bookmarks.

deveray
11-07-2007, 03:55 AM
Most developers I know have their browsers set in 'developer mode'; ie their cache is turned off so they always see changes on the websites they are working on without having to clear cache or force reload ctrl+f5
Both good and bad. With IE, for instance, hitting the back button after a couple minutes will reload the page, even though it can be very advantageous to see what had been there previously, then update by my command. Unfortunately, IE makes it all difficult because shutting off the auto-update means the dang thing won't even reset itself on the next visit.

Firefox has this one down perfectly. Going backwards gives you what was left behind (which can really save those of us who code directly on the server). Going somewhere else and then returning to the site WILL give you the latest page (not so with IE and the update turned off).

What is about Microsoft anyway, willing to steal the really good big features of competitors, though unwilling to grab teeny things that make it all so much better.

Cary
11-07-2007, 04:13 AM
Yah, I love favorites. Actually, I have well over a thousand favorites in probably a couple hundred folders. But having the extra tool of just being able to type in the first couple letters is a nice alternative to foraging through the bookmarks.

Sometimes I don't remember exactly where I put a bookmark, but the search feature in Firefox's bookmarks manager makes it easy to find things.

domedia
11-07-2007, 01:43 PM
I honestly don't see the problem with deleting your cache. If you rely on it for finding places you've been before instead of using your bookmarks, I would consider changing that habit instead. That is not what the cache is for.

davidj
11-07-2007, 07:59 PM
you have no alternative than to delete the cache if you want to get these vids to work

else get a book

if you dont want to delete the cache and choose the book option i would get a book on something other than programming because when your developing apps and sites in PHP or other languages you will be deleting the cache often.