PDA

View Full Version : Swf vs flv on progressive download

kc104
10-29-2007, 12:04 PM
If I have a swf file of size 100 mb and an flv file the same size and I have them both on the server under progressive download, which one would start first !

Basically, I know if we are talking about watching video on the net we should be talking about flv but for reasons to long to explain I need them in swf format, and what I want to know is, if the average size of the swf is 100mb is the waiting time going to be minutes rather than seconds.

( just to clarrify, you can progressivly download swf's right. What I mean by that is, you could download say, 10 percent of the file then watch that 10 percent while the other 90 downloads, and so on.)

domedia
10-29-2007, 12:35 PM
and what I want to know is, if the average size of the swf is 100mb is the waiting time going to be minutes rather than seconds. I think that would be decided by the download speed.

kc104
10-29-2007, 07:53 PM
The speed ! Im counting on the end user having a broadband connection.

let me explain a little further. I use adobe captivate and camtasia for screen capture / software simulation. I can produce the same file, as in exactly the same content, if its just a screen capture in both but captivate can not convert into flv's, only into swf's while camtasia can do flv.

for reasons that are to long to explain, if I could, I would do all of it in captivate meaning they would all be swf files, so my question is, playing a swf file with progressive download thats on average 100mb,
How long would the user have to wait / is it an acceptable alternative.

On a side point, just going back to flv's becasue I will be using them for other things - a guy at
streamingmediahosting.com

and he said - the price for streaming an flv and progressivly downloading it would be the same, and that there are many benifits to streaming that outway Prog downloading. Basically I want to know if this guy is talking out of his butt

domedia
10-29-2007, 08:50 PM
I've only done progressive flv which works great.
User can start the player even when file is downloading.
Make sure you optimize the flv for your target speed though.

I can't believe captivate which is an Adobe product can't do FLV's though.. are you sure about it? Can you export to another format that you can use the flash video encoder to make FLV from?