PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new HOST

Karkar
10-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Hi guys. I have decided that I really need to move my website from the current Microsoft server that it's on to a linux server so I can get your help on connecting to the my database so i can execute scripts whe i write them.

Could you recommened a host for me that i can be guided connecting my mysql db?

Thanks guys

domedia
10-23-2007, 02:10 PM
If you go to the homepage there's a few sponsors of the site in the left side column *coughcough* ;-)

2 general rules I have on hosting:
1. Stay away from 1and1 if you need support (which are going to need eventually)
2. If they offer 100% uptime, stay away.

Karkar
10-23-2007, 02:32 PM
i looked on the homepage under sponsors and there isn't anything there?

domedia
10-23-2007, 05:16 PM
My fault there was an error on the homepage.

fwr1000
10-23-2007, 05:40 PM
I have been using Startlogic (one of the sponsors) for over two years for 5 different sites. Have had excellent results and very responsive support when needed. They have Linux w/PHP as well as windows servers. Highly recommend (at least by me).

domedia
10-23-2007, 06:51 PM
hmm... maybe I should put together a member recommended list of hosting companies (hat offer a finders fee for DWC).. would be a nice way of changing red number for this website to green ones.. Hosting companies usually pay well for leads.

Karkar
10-24-2007, 04:07 AM
sounds cool. gonna get right on to switching. Thanks!

edbr
10-24-2007, 05:21 AM
maybe I should put together a member recommended list of hosting companies
sounds like a good idea if it helps to pay for this forum. if you write a proposal I would be happy to send it to a couple and see what they say.

domedia
10-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Ed, what were you thinking of when you say 'proposal'? I'm interested.
I was thinking of a page where we list a couple of hosting companies that is in use by members, and thus gotten a kind of 'approval'.

davidj
10-24-2007, 08:31 PM
i would send an email out asking if they have a referal fee

I did this when my mate asked me to source his car. I got him a cracking deal and earned 100 beer tokens at the same time

domedia
10-24-2007, 08:36 PM
I know I can get some promo codes from some hosting companies, plus a reward.
This way the DW member gets a better deal, plus this website gets a kickback as well. Sounds like a win-win if the hosting company is decent.

edbr
10-25-2007, 05:06 AM
i would send an email out asking if they have a referal fee
yes thats basically what I thought. by proposal I meant dw club stats to make it interesting to them, how many visitors, members Google Page ranking etc
and where you would put it , also maybe any recommends could be ranked, stuff like that

domedia
10-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Exactly where I was going as well.. Ed would you be willing to make a testimonial? email/pm me.

Tanzawa
11-01-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm happy I stumbled across this thread!

I'm going to pitch to the company I work for to use a hosting service, rather than continue to host in-house (blargh!). Did you guys ever work out a deal with a hosting company or could you shoot me back a recommendation?

Thanks!!

michi

domedia
11-01-2007, 04:16 PM
So far only 2 hosts have our sign of approval. I'll have a page set up on this shortly, but here they are:

Dreamhost
http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?360385
Use coupon code DWC to get a $20 off any of their plans

Starlogic - by way of edbr
http://www.startlogic.com/join/index.bml?AffID=566326
No coupon code but is about the same in price as dreamhost