PDA

View Full Version : Open new browswer window in behaviours

K.Simmonds
10-16-2007, 08:35 AM
I have a web site with lots of photos, and I use "click to enlarge" in behaviours. So when you click on the thumbnail photo a larger version of it pops up in a new window (which you then have to close manually). How do I get that window to pop up automatically when you just hover your cursor over the photo .... and of course, close when you move the mouse away from the thumbnail. I've tried changing from the drop down menu, from "on click" to "on mouse over" but that doesn't work. It must be something simple but its driving me nuts. Any ideas ?

PLEASE

tux
10-16-2007, 10:20 AM
You could try using a layer for the large image instead of opening a new window. Create a layer for the large image and position it on the page inserting the relevent image in it. Then using the behaviours on the thumbnail link you can use 'on mouse over' to show the layer, then use 'on mouse out' to hide it again.

If you have lots of pictures it could get a bit tiresome so maybe you should look at learning a scritping language. PHP is a very popular one especially on this forum and it is not as hard as it seems to learn.

If you have time check out Davidj's video tutorials here.....

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm/php-mysql-apache.php

.... they are very good.

Hope this helps, regards

Paul

K.Simmonds
10-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks for that. I've had a look, but its a little bit too advanced for me.
Thanks anyway.

tux
10-16-2007, 08:54 PM
It is really not that hard Keith. If you like I will show you how to add a layer and make it appear when a link is hovered over. Then it will disappear when the mouse moves away from the link. I have done an example for you to check out here....

http://www.focus-rydeimaginggroup.co.uk/layer.html

Go to this page, click View/Source, then copy the code. Paste it into a blank page in Dreamweaver. Then replace my images with your own. You can then see how it is done. If you have any questions let me know.

Good luck.

K.Simmonds
10-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks for sticking with me. My website is www.glendalehouse.co.uk you can see all the "click to enlarge" photos (done with behaviours / open new browser).
What I wanted was an equally simple way of having them pop up on just a hover .... exactly like yours, but I'm guessing it would be too messy to do it. The code I'd need to copy for all those photos would be a nightmare.

tux
10-19-2007, 10:58 AM
No worries Keith, everyone is here to help each other.

Regards, Paul