PDA

View Full Version : How to have active webpage inside table?

Burnt Offering
10-15-2007, 08:25 PM
I have a unique request from a Realtor I built a website for. I am using Dreamweaver CS3. The entire site is done, but on her "Current Listings" page, she wants another page to open below her logo in a FIXED location such as inside a table. Its a MLS site that she wants people to be able to go to. BUT, she doesn't want people to navigate away from her "Current Listings" page. I am not sure if I can describe what I need to do here but I will try. Can I have an active window open inside a table? IF so how? The end goal here is to have both pages load at the same time, with the MLS page viewable without having to click on a link, and opening another browser window. Any suggestions would b greatly appreciated.

domedia
10-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Yes you can. You don't need a table, but if she absolutely wants to, then do it.
<iframe src="http://www.google.com"></iframe>
You can use CSS to style it.

Burnt Offering
10-15-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey Domedia, I don't know what you get paid, but it isn't enough.:mrgreen: Listen, I will tell up honestly my knowledge is limited, so please bear with me if my next couple of questions seem dumb. Hopefully I can bother you for a just a little more info. I have this page. (please don't laugh to hard) which is this persons "Current Listings" page.

http://www.carlesonhomes.com/current_listings.html

The properties listed below will go away. In place of it will the page that I refered to in the above post. I am not real savvy on CSS styles yet although I have learned to apply them to links and text. I am using a simple table with cells. Can I bother you to give me a little guidance on how and where to copy the code you gave me, and apply a CSS style to it so I can adjust the size and width of the page. I actually was able to copy the code with the correct url and have it work but it was really small. Thanks a lot I really appreciate your help.

davidj
10-16-2007, 06:17 AM
burnt

you need to take some time to learn basic HTML, CSS.

domedia
10-16-2007, 01:25 PM
You paste it in exactly where you want it to appear in the code.
To style it add this style to your stylesheet and adjust to get what you want:

iframe {
height: 200px;
width: 300px;
}

davidj is right of course, if you want to do this you need to learn the basics of CSS :)

My pay ?? heh it's enough to say that this is a site I'm paying for, not earning from ;)

Burnt Offering
10-16-2007, 04:15 PM
I really aprreciate the help. I know I have a lot to learn, and am working towards learning more. Just needed a bump to get me throught this one thing. you gave me that and I'm grateful. Thanks again.

Burnt Offering
10-17-2007, 05:44 PM
OK guys. Got it working. Was able to edit it and get it sized the way I want. Just one little snafu. When, I test it and view it in a browser it wants to open the same URL in ANOTHER browser. So not only does the URL open in the iframe, it opens a browser window with the same URL. Heres my code.

<iframe src="http://www.alaskarealestate.com/index.asp"
height="950"
width="800"></iframe>

If I can get rid of the "bonus" browser window, I'll have exactly what I want. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of this extra browser window?

domedia
10-17-2007, 06:12 PM
The page you are putting into the iframe is checking to see if it's used as part of an iframe/frame and tries to open itself into a new in window if it ddoes detect that. There's no way around this, except for turning off javascript, but that is only going to work for you and not the other visitors to your site.

Burnt Offering
10-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Wow, that really sucks. OK, so is there any way to accomplish this using Dreamweaver?

domedia
10-17-2007, 06:48 PM
You need to contact the people running the multiple listing service system and ask how you can include their listings in your website.
This is not a limitation to Dreamweaver, it's just a tool to make your website.

Burnt Offering
10-17-2007, 07:26 PM
OK Thanks Domedia, I will do that and I really appreciate the help. Thanks again.