PDA

View Full Version : Does CS3 write php code?

deveray
10-12-2007, 01:14 AM
I downloaded and tooled around in the demo version yesterday, then just finished watching a video here.

The video showed a guy writing his own php (if if-else), pretty much setting up his own database tables and connection beforehand.

I have yet to find anything in the software that does this stuff for users.

Probably missing it though? Or is Dreamweaver a program that writes html and ACCEPTS already written php code that must be pasted or typed into the editing window?

edbr
10-12-2007, 04:33 AM
there i s some php code. if ,php code blocks but not enough to be of real use . you are looking for a wizard I think.

Cary
10-12-2007, 05:08 AM
This might be helpful.

Developing a web application with Dreamweaver (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/develop_web_application.html)

There's more stuff here, but the Developer Toolbox stuff use features not built into DW.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/php.html

Cary
10-12-2007, 05:15 AM
Did you create a new php document or open one? That activates the PHP tab on the insert toolbar. The Application tab is there even for regular html pages.

deveray
10-12-2007, 06:45 AM
there i s some php code. if ,php code blocks but not enough to be of real use . you are looking for a wizard I think.
I am a little surprised actually. Still, it is probably an excellent html drag and drap utility. But that stuff is relatively easy compared to the actual function programming.

Also, I tried to easily create a pull-out (or pulldown) menu and found the product to be unhelpful. Not completely. It does offer a dialog box with a bunch of numbers, which may turn out to be levels. Sure might be better to have a graphic template folder though. One could just drag the right image onto the work area, then right click or even point and click to choose which level for linking.

Like lots of the professional level tools, could be I merely need to spend more time gaining familiarity and finding tutorials.

deveray
10-12-2007, 06:50 AM
Did you create a new php document or open one? That activates the PHP tab on the insert toolbar. The Application tab is there even for regular html pages.

I don't actually recall. Seems to me I tried to use a template first. Finding myself at a dead-end, I may have created one from scratch, then began dragging images to play around with. I did notice the php tab. But I think it only had a bunch of tags to choose from. Better have another peek.

There does appear to be a ton of tools. Maybe I could use it in conjunction with a couple other programs that do various things more easily, then transfer, mix and match code where needed.

deveray
10-12-2007, 06:51 AM
This might be helpful.

Developing a web application with Dreamweaver (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/develop_web_application.html)

There's more stuff here, but the Developer Toolbox stuff use features not built into DW.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/php.html

Thank you. I will have a look at these tomorrow.

davidj
10-12-2007, 10:30 AM
deveray

i will teach you to hand code PHP if you want

tux
10-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Hi Dj,

I'll take your offer. I've been hinting to you to teach me for ages. I have done your vids and as you know I'm currently converting my camera club ASP site to a hand coded PHP site. I'm always asking for help with probs as they occur but what I really want is someone to give a proper roots up grounding so I can understand things correctly.

PM me if you feel like taking the challenge. :-D

Regards, Paul.

PS: The Neon soap opera thing is rivetting. Cant wait for the next episode. :)

deveray
10-12-2007, 11:29 PM
deveray

i will teach you to hand code PHP if you want

That would be terrific. I am a willing student. Have actually been seeking a tutor, even for hire if need be. I put up a card on the bulletin board at the local college. No reply whatsoever. And of course they don't offer php courses there either.

My web searches for formal classes have turned up only one thus far, 700 miles away. It meets only 3 times, once a week for 3 weeks. I have contemplated making the drive. So I am pretty much ready to jump at nearly anything available.

davidj
10-13-2007, 08:15 AM
follow the vid tutorials on this site first

deveray
10-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Okay, will do.