PDA

View Full Version : Basic HTML

Jittor
10-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Dom, DJ, who ever, you think we should do a basic HTML tut or is that just kinda, you should know this stuff already? Maybe a HTML cheat sheet. Ahhh, who knows, I don't even know how I feel about that.

davidj
10-11-2007, 03:13 PM
its a book in its own right

could you cover everything even in a primer? You would have to cover the lot for it to be of any use....

or is that just kinda, you should know this stuff already?

i was getting to the stage recently where i was going to test members before i would reply... What does this do ... <option value="no1" or what is this for <form action="page.htm" etc

If they get it wrong or don't know the answer it means they are not ready for me and need to develop some coding skills..

some people (and i can name a few) just want a cut-n-paste solution to a problem.

In the words of that zany 80's pop sensation - The fine young cannibals .....

It drives me crazy

Jittor
10-11-2007, 03:24 PM
I think that is why I was iffy about the whole thing, there's just to much to cover, and your right people just want a cut-n-paste solution and don't want to learn and I don't want to promote that. I wouldn't be where I am today if someone did that to me.

domedia
10-11-2007, 04:51 PM
The 'challenge' (choosing my words wisely ;) ) we have is that we get all kinds of visitors to these forums, handcoders and wysiwyg'ers. We get people that design as website using HTML tables, we have people that design websites with DIVingitis (Everything is a DIV), and some code nerds like myself that wants semantic markup with CSS.

I wish there would be an easy way of giving everyone something. Maybe divide some of the forums up between handcoders and people that design in design view? Then DJ for example, would'nt have to go into the design view thread at all, but focus on participating in threads by people that at least he had something in common with. Also extension users etc could participate in their own threads etc. I know in some of the largest forums I participate in outside DWC, there's whole sections of the forum I have never, and probably will never go into. Those are sections on anything from MS servers to Java/JSP to Multimedia . Stuff I'm not really interested in.

Talking about Tutorials, I'll make a "Tutorial Wanted" thread today. That way anyone that wants to make a tutorial can see what we need. Writing tuts is a great way of getting a nice backlink to the authors site, so hopefully we'll have some action.

Jittor
10-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Talking about Tutorials, I'll make a "Tutorial Wanted" thread today. That way anyone that wants to make a tutorial can see what we need. Writing tuts is a great way of getting a nice backlink to the authors site, so hopefully we'll have some action.

Sounds like a plan!

I know in some of the largest forums I participate in outside DWC, there's whole sections of the forum I have never, and probably will never go into. Those are sections on anything from MS servers to Java/JSP to Multimedia . Stuff I'm not really interested in.

Isn't that the truth! DWC is one of the few I can really get into almost every forum, but there are a number of forums, like you said, that have section that I don't care to get into.

edbr
10-12-2007, 03:51 AM
the wizard aspect of dreamweaver as a program is what attracts a lot of people to it. The best or at least one of the great features of this forum is that you can learn by the posts and be tempted /taught more into code . not every one is full time at this and If making a website from scratch with notepad at the get go was the only option many including myself would not have got started.

m1a2x3x7
10-25-2007, 05:28 PM
If making a website from scratch with notepad at the get go was the only option many including myself would not have got started.

Thats how/why i got started. No programs except notpad. A lot of people didn't know or understood html. That's why I liked it. That's why I like php no program that you can really use, point and click and it works. You have to think and picture the finished product in your mind.

People that just click a button and an image appears and add some text and say "I'm a web designer" i just laugh.

edbr
10-26-2007, 04:11 AM
Thats how/why i got started. No programs except notpad. A lot of people didn't know or understood html. That's why I liked it. That's why I like php no program that you can really use, point and click and it works. You have to think and picture the finished product in your mind
well done, but as i said not all are professional web designers, many make sites for themself, friends clubs churches. This forum being called dreamweaver club and note coders corner or notepad club will naturally attract users of dreamweaver. Yes it has its limitations but how manty visitors to this site have explored html php etc because of it

domedia
10-26-2007, 11:50 AM
What Ed said :)