PDA

View Full Version : Flash menu blocking another flash menu

SmoothCanvas
10-09-2007, 07:44 PM
In Dreamweaver I have imported a horizontal menu bar that has sub menus that drop down. Below that to the left is another vertical sub menu bar. Both are flash and broken into layers.

The horizontal one I gave it the property of wmode and transparent. The top one works great but any flash button it overlaps are no longer functional. How do I fix that?

SmoothCanvas
10-09-2007, 07:48 PM
http://orion.spicenet.net/dhtest/Levinson%20Website/FLAs/aboutus.html

see the menu on the left side? and the first "click to read more" button doesn't work... but the all the ones below work.

Jittor
10-10-2007, 03:27 PM
I don't see a "click to learn more" button?

Ricky55
10-10-2007, 07:50 PM
firstly why have you used flash here? the top buttons are not doing anything that an image wouldn't have done or css.

Even the vertical bar doesn't really justify flash.

flash increases file sizes and has useability issues with the player plug in being required.

Don't get me wrong flash is a brilliant tool I actually prefer it to CSS and HTML but theres no point in using it for the sake of it.

If you do insist on using flash embed it properly.

If you have dreamweaver 8 update to patch 8.02, this will prevent the click to activate this control message from appearing.

This site is actually nice, its clean and smart, use the correct technology that this job requires and do yourself a favour.

Ricky55

PS
When you have two overlapping areas I think you'll always get this.

m1a2x3x7
10-10-2007, 08:03 PM
i love when people create a non animated website in flash...its delicious

Jittor
10-10-2007, 08:31 PM
has useability issues with the player plug in being required.

How much of an issue do you think this is now? With sites like You Tube, Yahoo, and Google using flash for their videos it's almost main stream now.
Ya, you'll have a few who don't have the ability, but that's the same with browsers, and resolution as well.

I agree, using CSS could have been the way to go.

Ricky55
10-11-2007, 09:42 AM
To be honest the flash plugin issue isn't a very big concern at all but when flash is not required there is just no point in having the issue there at all.

Why have a question mark over something when you don't need to??

Of course this can be easy out weighed when the site actually takes advantage of flash and animates.

Ricky55

PS
If you don't know CSS just use images, even this would be better in this case.

Ricky55
10-11-2007, 09:44 AM
also theres nothing worse than using flash when you don't need to be them when you don't embed it correctly so you need to click on everything once just to activate it this is a real turn off for users.

I hope I not sounding too critical because I don't want you to take this that way. I just see a nice site here that is being spoily be poor / pointless flash implementation.

Ricky55

Jittor
10-11-2007, 03:18 PM
I hope I not sounding too critical because I don't want you to take this that way.

No way man, I was just wanting your option on the matter, and I happen to agree.

A lot of people just want to do something in Flash and don't realize that they don't really need to. This does exactly what you said, can slow down load time, and most people don't embed it propperly so you have to click every time the page is refreshed in order to use it - and the fix is a simple upgrade.

I agree, unless you have good animation or cool stuff going on save the flash and use CSS.

Ricky55
10-11-2007, 08:45 PM
that it is sound advice Jittor my friend.